C-Bus Instant Hot Water Controller

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ks04, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Ks04

Ks04

Hi There,

I'm replacing my hot water service and have an existing C-Bus infra. throughout my house. Rather than have yet anouther controller, I'm hoping i can use my eDLT to control the temperature of the hot water -- has any successfully done this and can recommend a unit?

Looking at the Rinnai and Rheems of the world the controllers appear to all be quite vendor specific.

Ks04, Dec 13, 2021
  2. Ks04

Ashley W

Doubt it will be possible, because as you say they are proprietary, they do not use any open communications protocols. Even the Rinnai wireless system is proprietary.

Out of interest of the two brands you mention I would go the Rinnai. My old house had Rinnai and the new one has a Rheem, with 3 controllers. Apart from the RInnai controllers looking better (IMO), one thing I HATE about the Rheem is there is no way to transfer control of the hot water heater except for turning off the active controller and then turning on the controller you want to be active. The Rinnai has a transfer button, which becomes active if the HWS is not active. I've found the lack of this feature a pain, especially as we have a double story house. Also after a blackout the Rheem doesn't automatically turn back on.

Ashley W, Jan 12, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  3. Ks04

znelbok

Yes, in my experience, the HWS manufacturers think they are giving away their whole business if the told you how the comms worked. They have their heads in the sand (or way up their own ass) if they think like that. It would only open up their product to more people and more users.

You will have to reverse engineer it yourself if you want to do this.

znelbok, Jan 15, 2022
    Ashley W likes this.
Ask a Question