C-Bus Driver for Windows and Linux - FREE DOWNLOAD

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ashleigh, May 9, 2005.

1. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

CIS is pleased to have a C-Bus Driver for Windows and Linux, available FREE OF CHARGE for Web Download.

What does it do?

This driver allows all functions to be performed on C-Bus, and allows messages received from the bus to be processed using event handlers.

What environments does it support?

Integration into most compilers and environments is pretty easy.

The windows version is a DLL, and header files are supplied for C and Delphi.

The Linux version is a ".a" object archive suitable for static linking. Header files are provided for C.

Both versions come with examples, documentation, and so on.

What are the conditions?

An End-User License Agreement is included - important points are:

. It is OK to create derivative works
    . It is NOT ok to attempt to reverse engineer it (though why you would bother is beyond me).

What are the C-Bus Equipment Requirements?

This driver works best with a version 4 series C-Bus PCI.

It will work with a version 3 series PCI, however, this is not encouraged.

This driver may not support all functions with some very old cbus units (in particular, no discovery support for non-Learn units - ie pre C-Bus 2.)

What about support?

This driver DOES NOT come with support.

CIS will accept defect reports, but makes no committment as to when or if defects will be corrected.

CIS may release updated versions at any time in future without notification to existing users.

How do I get it?

You can download it here: http://www.clipsal.com/cis/CBusDriver.php3

Seeing as I'm getting this from CIS, does that mean my widget is automatically C-Bus Enabled?

NO!!!

C-Bus Enabled (refer www.cbus-enabled.com) offers other benefits and a certification process.

When my widget is attached my C-Bus Network does wierd things. Can I get support?

No.

If your development breaks your C-Bus Network, disconnect your widget.

CIS will not provide support for networks with home-grown devices attached, unless those devices are disconnected first.

Anything else?

The usual legal disclaimers.

CIS make no warranty or representations about the suitability of this driver for any particular purpose.

If it does not do what you expect, don't blame us.

Don't use in life support equipment or where life can be endangered.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2005
    ashleigh, May 9, 2005
  2. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

The C-Bus Driver for Windows and Linux has been updated. The latest version is 3.3, available from the CIS downloads page.

Release Notes.

Version 3.3:

. corrects a few minor defects in previous releases.

. adds support for the new Error Reporting Application, and the new Air Conditioning Application.

**NOTE** there are no Clipsal devices that support these applications yet.

Air Conditioning will be supported by a future Clipsal product.

Both of these new applications have subtleties - serious users or manufacturers should contact Clipsal (start at the C-Bus Enabled co-ordinator: [email protected]) for guidance.

ashleigh, May 19, 2005
  3. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

The C-Bus driver for Windows and Linux has been updated.

The current version is 3.4.

This version corrects 2 minor problems only. Both problems are manifestations of the same issue, just under different circumstances.

1. Setting transparent mode now resets the cbus PCI back to basic settings, so that subsequent use of older software like cbus V2 will work OK.

2. On exit, the com port close function should be called. This will also clear the cbus PCI back to basic settings as described above.

Very few users of this driver will need this update, however, upgrading is recommended.

ashleigh, Jun 28, 2005
  4. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Future LINUX versions of this driver are expected to be built on a Fedora Core 4 system with gcc 4.

If you have any reason to expect this will cause problems, please advise by sending me a private message.

ashleigh, Jul 6, 2005
  5. ashleigh

ashleigh Moderator

Does not work when using C-Touch as a PCI

It has been reported that the C-Bus Driver for Windows does not work when used with a black & white C-Touch behaving as PCI.

This has been confirmed - its all due to the way the handshake lines are driven.

An updated version will be posted to the web site before the end of this week.

ashleigh, Nov 7, 2005
Ask a Question