C-BUS coupler programming

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by dickyknees1952, May 2, 2022.

1. dickyknees1952

dickyknees1952

Hi all, I am a newbie to this C-Bus forum so please bear with me until I get my head wrapped around all of this and this long winded explanation as to my problem.
    I am in need of some programming assistance with the 4 channel C-Bus coupler. To me the clipsal programming information is a tad vague and I am finding it frustrating to be able to program it to do a basic function. I want the coupler to indicate when my garage door is either open or closed on my c-bus Mk2 coloured touch screens.

I have programmed the 3 touch screens to be able to turn on and off all of my home lighting as well as programmed some scenes to do certain functions at night when I go to bed as well as when I arrive home. All of this is working fine ........................... Now the problem:

I have 4 channel c-bus coupler and on one of the inputs I have connected a roller door contact (Encapsulated reed switch) that is mounted to the bottom of my garage door. What I want the coupler to be able to do is to send a signal to all of the 3 touch screens to indicate wether the garage door is either open or closed.

I am at a loss as to what I need to do programming wise for the coupler to do this for me............ any help that any of you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    dickyknees1952, May 2, 2022
  2. dickyknees1952

Ashley

Simply program the bus coupler channel as a Bell Press in the function drop down and create a new GA for it. When the door is closed the GA will be on, and when the doors opens the GA will go to off. (assuming it's a normally open reed).

Then just add a status icon on the touch screens for this GA.

Ashley, May 3, 2022
  3. dickyknees1952

dickyknees1952

Hi and Thank you Ashley, please excuse my ignorance here but what is GA short for in your reply.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

dickyknees1952, May 3, 2022
  4. dickyknees1952

Wonkey

GA is a group address. This is what is used to make an association between different devices. In your case the bus coupler and touch screen.
    On the bus coupler Graphical User Interface (GUI) in toolkit software you will see a +button to create a new GA call it garage door and set the function bell press.
    Save the information to both the network and data base. Close toolkit software,
    now open PICED software and add a status icon to you program

Wonkey, May 3, 2022
  5. dickyknees1952

Graham Lamb

Hi in the Aux unit they call the bell press function aux on/off also to answer for Ashley GA is the Group address or Group you created in the touch screen (ie group 050 might be called Garage Door) also be aware that the bus coupler only changes the state of the GA when it sees a change in the state of the reed switch so if the reed contacts were closed (On) and there was a power failer the GA would go to Off state when power was restored and would be out of step with reed switch untill the reed changed state again.

Graham Lamb, May 3, 2022
  6. dickyknees1952

dickyknees1952

Thanks Ashley, I'll give it a go this evening and again thanks for your advice.

dickyknees1952, May 3, 2022
Ask a Question