C-bus compatible LEDS?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tolly, Mar 14, 2005.

1. tolly

tolly

Hi all. Does anybody have any information on the use of coloured LEDS that are compatible with C-bus? We are based in Adelaide and have approached numerous manufacturers and keep being told that their LEDS must use trailing edge dimmers. We would like to incorporate blue LEDS around a bath and stairwell to match with saturn switching and will be using ATCO speedy transformers.We are two days away from needing to have the prewire completed. Is this possible? Any body able to help?
    Thanks,
    Tolly

tolly, Mar 14, 2005
  2. tolly

znelbok

Not an answer to your question - sorry

But, what is a LED(S). I know what LED (light emmiting diode) is for electronics etc, and that with the advent of the high brightness LEDs that they have been used for lighting in torches and other areas, but I was unaware that they were being used for lighting in a house and were dimmable. Is this the same thing you are talking about.

What sort of lighting are these being used for?

Thanks

Mick

znelbok, Mar 14, 2005
  3. tolly

Bad Boy Bubby

as far as i am aware you cannot dim led's with leading or trailing edge dimmers that control lv transformers. as you dim the key the led's appear to stay the same brightness and when you get to a low dim level they just go off. web sites in the usa of led manufacturers talk about dimming led's with a pulse width modulated signal.

Bad Boy Bubby, Mar 15, 2005
  4. tolly

dbuckley

Questions about LED dimming tend to dissapear off this 'board.

It is indeed the case that "ordinary" dimmers, whether LE or TE are not good for dimming LEDs, unless you have a parallel incandescent load, in which case the LEDs will dim, but not over the same range as the incandescent, and neither with the same law. Use any compatible wound (not electronic) transformer, and a bridge rectifier (with series resistors, obviously) to feed the LEDs.

What you really want is a LED controller with a 10v control input, and a 5104AM. if you find such a controller, please post, as we would all like to know about it. Pulsar do a 10v accepting controller (the ChromaPSU2), but it will only drive their fixtures, and much of the smarts is in the fixtures, so you cant use it with ordinary LEDs. On the other hand, they have some great looking fixtures, so if those are acceptable to your customer, then thats the solution. Not low cost, though, be ready with the chequebook.

The off-the-shelf LED dimmers of which I am aware are all DMX512 controlled.

It would be easy to build a suitable dimmer, its not rocket science to convert 10v control to PWM, but the patent situation makes it a risky business to be in.

dbuckley, Mar 15, 2005
  5. tolly

MichaelCarey

Hands up all who want a C-Bus to DMX512 box?? I drool when I look through professional lighting/architectural magazines showing many different forms of LED lighting, but alas, I can't control them with C-Bus. Maybe one day??

Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Mar 15, 2005
  6. tolly

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Michael

Hands up all who want a C-Bus to DMX512 box?? I drool when I look through professional lighting/architectural magazines showing many different forms of LED lighting, but alas, I can't control them with C-Bus. Maybe one day??

Im sure this can be done using xPL as there is a CBUS plugin and also a dmx plugin...Contact me offlist if you want more info...otherwise we will start going [OT]....

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 15, 2005
  7. tolly

ecosparks

C-Bus Compatible LED Lighting.

I want to first declare my interests.
    Firstly I am an Electrical Contractor in Melbourne.
    Secondly I sell LED Downlights & Globes.
    I have stumbled across this forum by accident and have spent some time reading the LED dimming claims & counter claims.
    I have recently put one of my employees through 3 C-Bus courses, (basic, touch & logic) so we can fit C-Bus to our lighting showroom.
    Having set up a C-Bus test rig in our factory, I set about testing all the LED globes & drivers I could buy.
    As stated in some previous forum strings, there is a deal of vapourware & misinformation.
    I will try to keep my neutral hat on & make comment on successful, cost effective LED dimming drivers that can run on wired c-bus.
    The answer, not many.
    The driver that can be bought as a stand alone unit, that can control a range of different LED globes & work with C-Bus wired system is the Coolmax driver that I sell.
    Most other drivers need a 0-10v input.In a small retail, commercial or domestic install, this is a pain.
    It is hard not to blow my own horn,so respecting the integrity of the forum,I will leave this post at this.
    Ecosparks

ecosparks, Mar 13, 2011
  8. tolly

tobex

What are the technical specifications of the Coolmax device you sell and what load does it require on the lamp side.

Have you tested the Lutron device ?

tobex, Mar 13, 2011
  9. tolly

Newman

I can confirm that the 9W Coolmax MR16 LED downlight works on a C-Bus Leading Edge dimmer when used with the Coolmax Dimming Driver kit. Only 1 lamp/driver is required for the C-Bus Leading Edge dimmer to be stable. For the warm white colour temperature (3000K) I'd estimate the light output to be about 300 lumens.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
    Newman, Mar 14, 2011
  10. tolly

tobex

What would a complete lamp cost ?

tobex, Mar 16, 2011
  11. tolly

Newman

Available on-line from the ecosparks website. $40.09 for the lamp and $34.40 for the driver (17/03/2011), so $74.49 per lamp, not including shipping of course.

Newman, Mar 16, 2011
  12. tolly

ecosparks

Coolmax dimming on C-Bus

The prices quoted are for retail customers, Trade discount is available foe electrical contractors.
    It is true that the 9 watt MR-16 is dimmable with a driver BUT,
    The Coolmax 9 watt globe is dimmable on GU_10 240 volt no driver is required. I'm not sure I conveyed this on my original post.
    The 6 watt globe runs the same dimming engine but it isn't as smooth as the 9 watt. The total output side load on C-Bus 2 is 9.2 watts.
    We took it to the Home Show last week & there were some dropped jaws.
    If you want to have a look, we do demos at our factory on Sat. mornings.
    Keep Well,
    ecosparks

ecosparks, May 4, 2011
  13. tolly

Snowy

C-Bus to DMX box

There is an existing C-Bus to DMX gateway and has been for over a year
    5500DMX, it maps 8 C-Bus group addresses to DMX slots

Snowy, May 13, 2011
  14. tolly

Nick4u1

I'm actually getting some led downlights, 9ws but im at a loss for a decent DMX512 unit. I'll be having it installed but i wanted to get the gear in myself. might not be the place to ask is there anything in particular I need to watch out for?

P.S. I'm running 36 spots (downlights) 9w tri-chip, own driver RGB.

http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/led-downlights.asp

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
    Nick4u1, May 31, 2011
Ask a Question