C-Bus & ceiling fans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Turtle

Turtle

Hi all.
    This is my first post. After reading most of the other threads available, I haven't found many that concern the use of c-bus to control ceiling fans.
    Is it possible, and how?
    I must confess I'm extremely green on this subject, but am registered to attend the next available course.

Second question;
    Providing separation is maintained, is it possible to install c-bus components inside a sub switchboard with mcbs controlling circuits not associated with the system? ie; a/c circuit and gpo circuits.

Thanks for your replies (in advance).

Turtle, Jul 28, 2007
  2. Turtle

Custom

?Search? is your friend. Use the search button on the forum home page there are already many threads regarding ceiling fan control. There are many options for control, whether you want to use 3 relay channels per fan, which can work out expensive if you have 5-10+ fans. Some guys use 1 channel per fan and then install the fan control in line hidden in roof area or cupboard and leave the fan control on medium speed setting. I normally use 1 channel per fan and then remove the capacitor from the fan controller and wire it in series (on medium speed setting) and locate it in the ceiling fan's top cowl.

I prefer to use a seperate switchboard enclosure for the C-Bus equipment, but you shouldn't have any problems installing them in an existing switchboard providing you maintain segregation between the 240 wiring the C-Bus pink Cat5

Bill

Custom, Jul 28, 2007
  3. Turtle

Turtle

Thanks for that info Bill. I noticed after I had sent my request, the several threads that were available to browse. I actually like your idea of the capacitor in the fan cowl, over the control in the roof.

Thanks once again

Brian:)

Turtle, Jul 28, 2007
Ask a Question