C-Bus Cable wiring

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by N.W.B, Oct 25, 2020.

1. N.W.B

N.W.B

Hi all, quick question. I’m partway through pre-wire now. I would like to segregate each part of the house into its own c-bus circuit e.g Bedroom # 1, Bedroom # 2 lounge etc. then have these come back to a switch. Does anyone see any issues with this?

N.W.B, Oct 25, 2020
  2. N.W.B

Ashley

What do you mean by come back to a switch? Cbus isn't ethernet.

What are you trying to accomplish?

It sounds like you really don't understand how Cbus works.

Ashley, Oct 25, 2020
  3. N.W.B

N.W.B

Sorry Ash, I mean like a main junction point where each circuit of the house comes to, so if a fault were to arise I could easily remove this circuit. I’m aware c-bus is not Ethernet but I thought you could use a switch as a joining point if it was dedicated for cbus Only.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    N.W.B, Oct 25, 2020
  4. N.W.B

Ashley

It would be worth downloading the Cbus documentation and reading it before you start blowing stuff up. :)

You can build a star network in Cbus but at the junction you need a patch panel with parallel connected RJ45 sockets. You can do this yourself with a standard RJ45 patch panel and simply wire them all in parallel, or you can buy ready made ones like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000007953299.html

Ashley, Oct 25, 2020
    Timbo likes this.
  5. N.W.B

chromus

Sounds like you want to spend a LOT more money than necessary on pink cable.

Star topology will work just fine within reason but unless this is a hospital or critical infrastructure installation there won’t really be any benefit to what I assume you want to be redundancy.

Bottom line unless you are doing this for a specific certification process the only people benefiting are Clipsal Schneider shareholders.

chromus, Oct 26, 2020
  6. N.W.B

bmerrick

Hi N.W.B.,

I normally try to bring only between 2 to 4 C-Bus 'legs' back to the central board for each floor depending on floor SQM. Room by room cables are really just a waste of pink cable as Chromus says. Each 'leg' I install would normally jump quite reliably between around 8-15 switch module locations. For a 'normal' sized house, 2 per floor is fine (eg Nth & Sth), for a mansion sized house perhaps 4 per floor (Nth, Sth, Est, Wst).

Whilst I also like and use that nice RJ45 bus junction DIN module Ashley suggested, I note that I have found it not the best solution in waterfronts as the salt air makes the high density RJ45 connections slightly less reliable over years than solid physical cable punch down (used to be called a 'gas-less' connection) interconnects. In these waterfront situations, I alternatively use a Krone style interconnect, like the old Ness hub (that is now discontinued unfortunately) or the identical black painted Hills branded version. There was also a Starserve solution but it had the 'Krone' style punch downs on the back which wasn't as convenient as the Ness/Hills.

For a completely 'normal' sized home install, I really like the Good Wood electronics' C-Bus junction, which was designed by a highly experienced C-Bus engineer.

Hope this helps in your consideration,

Brad

:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    bmerrick, Oct 26, 2020
    lcrowhurst likes this.
  7. N.W.B

Timbo

Cheers for that link Ashley - handy to know these exist!

Timbo, Nov 2, 2020
  8. N.W.B

allanf

I have used this 9-way junction (see top of the pic)

Attached Files:

allanf, Nov 24, 2020
Ask a Question