C-Bus Availability in the USA

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by rhamer, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rhamer

rhamer

I have heard comments before about 110v 60Hz versions of C-Bus gear being available, but can you actually buy it in the USA?

If so are there local integrators there?

rhamer, Mar 15, 2006
  2. rhamer

PSC

The official launch will be in Florida in July.

PSC, Mar 15, 2006
  3. rhamer

rhamer

Thanks Peter.

rhamer, Mar 15, 2006
  4. rhamer

rabel

USA End-User Vendor?

I'm interested in C-Bus in the USA (SquareD), but they sure make it hard to find a vendor that will sell to end-users. I don't want to pay someone to install, I just want the equipment. Does anyone know of a USA vendor that will sell C-Bus equipment direct to homeowners?

rabel, Jan 12, 2007
  5. rhamer

Richo

We haven't seen too many US folk on the forums yet. I'm hoping that will change when the big launch occurs. So there may not be many that can answer the question. I guess all the normal SquareD suppliers would be use to commercial/industrial clients.

Richo, Jan 13, 2007
  6. rhamer

rhamer

So when is the big launch?

I get asked regularly, and last info I got was last July.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jan 13, 2007
  7. rhamer

Richo

No idea, we are really just a supplier to SquareD. They run the show over there. The product has launched in at least one US state (which would be the launch you are refering to).

Richo, Jan 13, 2007
  8. rhamer

Phoneman

North American Launch

I would like to suggest that all contributors to the CBus Community forum be invited to join Clipsal at the NA Launch. It wouldn't cost much to fly us there, put us up in a 4 star hotel and cover the bar fridge and expenses.

We would be great value!

Phoneman, Jan 14, 2007
  9. rhamer

Phil.H

I just flew in from the US (L.A.) late last night. Attended 7 days training on a multi protocol BMS controller and web server for which we are also having a C-Bus interface written for. After having all our bags lost (seven of us) on the forward led for 12 hours, then on the return sitting in the plane at LAX with APU troubles for over an hour before take off, then a bumpy flight, then the manditory luggage problems in Sydney terminal (this time luggage belt broken) etc etc etc, if you manage to pull off the invites to the NA launch - I respectfully decline ;)

Phil.H, Jan 14, 2007
  10. rhamer

darrenblake

Coming to America

Phil,

Sounding very negative in your old (but wise) age.
    Happy to be your bag man on your next trek into the great unknown.

DB

darrenblake, Jan 15, 2007
  11. rhamer

Phil.H

Forgot to mention that not only was the aircraft APU (aux power unit - jet engine in the tail run for electrical power when the main engines are shutdown) out of action the American Airlines crowd could not get their act together to get ground power units connected. No ground power = no air conditioning = hot plane. Anyway after a few good nights sleep back in the world not so negative now ;)

Back on the subject, from what I saw and heard it looks like C-Bus has a BIG future in the US of A. One of the big challenges there will be skilled installers and integrators to take the product to market. Now don't read anything into that you guys... ;) All I am saying is training will important and I think Square D Clipsal will be a little hands on to ensure the product profile is maintained. It looks like commercial projects including institutions like education etc will be as big or bigger than domestic ???

Darren, for future international trips not only can you be my bag man, you can go for me. I trust you to do and say the right thing. Is your passport up to date ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
    Phil.H, Jan 15, 2007
  12. rhamer

controlfreak

Hey guys.
    Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to post.

I've been working with the C-Bus product here in Nevada with a lot of help and support from the Tennessee guys since mid summer. Everything is going real well, availability and delivery of product has never been an issue (the project is being done in phases as it is an existing facility) and even though we order the items at the last minute we have never had a delay due to not having the parts. Some of the multi-sensors we got for the initial phase were still in the box that was sent from Australia to Square D over here, but we had them to do the job.

The technical support out of Tennessee has been some of the best support that I have got in the automation trade, it seems that at every phase the electrical engineer has made changes to the sequence (the system controls solar dampers for natural light with fluorescent for when there is not enough natural light, with timed override off for showing of videos etc.) and no matter what changes were made the guys back east have had a solution and database back to me in a timely manner.

I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Adelaide CIS facility right before I started working on the project and I have to say those guys are some of the most friendly and helpful guys around. The whole experience has been a good one and I look forward to working with the product and people in the future.

controlfreak, Jan 26, 2007
  13. rhamer

Richo

Great to hear such positive news.

Richo, Jan 27, 2007
  14. rhamer

Frank Mc Alinden

It sure is nice to see some positive posts especially something from the USA...

Im going to relay this over at Coocoontech (a US based HA Forum) so i hope you guys dont mind ;-)

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Jan 27, 2007
  15. rhamer

UncleSam

Things are different over here

Just to fill you in on the situation, SqD have and existing lighting control arm - PowerLink that has has a interface to C-bus (or SqD Clipsal as it is known here) this has been available for over a year now and there are many installations complete underway or being planned. The PowerLink range is prdominently a commercial product and SqD is involved in most aspects of the planning, programming and installation process and we have some exellent commercial integrator/installers (some of who have posted) who are
    carrying out installations.

The residential side is being released more gradually, as a couple of postings have identified there is a huge issue of installer training, this is currently going ahead with various reagons of the US being targeted to get the product and training before others. If you need to check more on this have a look at squaredlightingcontrol.com

UncleSam, Jan 29, 2007
  16. rhamer

UncleSam

By the way

There were two launches in the States last year, the main one was in May/June at Lightfair in Las Vegas. Lightfair is one of the biggest lighting expo's in the World and is mainly commercial in focus. Most of the inquiries were referenced to the C-bus system interfacing with the PowerLink range although as you would expect there was conciderable interest from all visitors to the aesthetic's of NEO and Saturn and quite a few interested stand visitors were from competitors as well as consultants, lighting designers and architects. The level of interest from residential focused visitors was also very high (we were happily suprised)

The Residential launch was later in the year (mid November) and more tied in to the opening of the SqD Clipsal showroom and design centre in Orlando Florida.

UncleSam, Jan 29, 2007
  17. rhamer

tobex

Who can afford to travel overseas when they earn $20 per hour.

tobex, Feb 3, 2007
  18. rhamer

Phoneman

$2 per hour

Well if you can't do it earning $20 Dollars an hour Tobex, you don't work enough hours in a secure job. If you put in a solid 8 hour day that would be $160 GP. You could say do that 5 and a half times a week and you would be dragging in a constant and secure 46800 per annum, a fair bit more than the award for electricians and entry level IT programmers.

I would suggest you should think before you take a shot across the bows buddy.

Phoneman, Feb 4, 2007
  19. rhamer

BSS

Well phoneboy it has been very peaceful around here for the last couple of weeks without you.
    What gives you the right to tell people how hard they should work, how many hours they should work, and for what they should be charging or recieving in renumeration. Do you think business run them selfs without overheads ( eg Vehicles, fuel, insurances, phones, licences, tools, laptops, software etc)
    Please do all of us a favour and refrain from your ill informed and provocative comments. Please go back to your shed (your own 1 off job) and let us manage our businesses and multiple jobs the way we know best without your comments or help.

BSS, Feb 4, 2007
  20. rhamer

emillika

I am in the US and love the promise of Clipsal here. We are currently adding a few rooms to our home and will have access to most of the walls for wiring. With the timing of availability vs my project timing... I am curious if you could give me some advice on pre-wiring. Do I just need CAT5e pulled to each switch that I want to control?

Also, does anyone have any US pricing yet for the common items that we would need to get started? I.e. switches, dimmers, controllers, etc. I am trying to hone in on my lighting control solution this week and I have been reading WAYYYY to much about all the systems out there... I seem to keep coming back to Clipsal/Square-D.

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Elmer

emillika, Feb 12, 2007
Ask a Question