C-Bus Application ID's For Third Party Use

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by rhamer, May 28, 2015.

1. rhamer

rhamer

Are there any specified application ID's that are guaranteed never to be used by Clipsal?

Reading the C-Bus Applications document it states that the range $01 to $0F are available for free use, but then goes on to say However their use is discouraged.

I don't want to actually send messages onto the bus with this ID, but I do want to make sure I will never receive messages with this particular ID, because I want to use it internally in my software for another purpose.

So is there an ID that can be used?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, May 28, 2015
  2. rhamer

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Rohan,

The discouragement is to make people think twice before creating another version of a pre-existing application, so for example we don't end up with dozens of third-party HVAC applications. For a genuine custom application please do go ahead and use that range.

It's still a good idea to make it configurable in your product if possible and document it clearly, for the benefit of integrators combining multiple third-party solutions.

daniel, May 29, 2015
  3. rhamer

rhamer

Thanks Daniel, exactly what I wanted to hear.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, May 29, 2015
Ask a Question