C Bus 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jib, Jul 19, 2022.

1. jib

jib

I own and live in a C-bus 1 system. In past Ive repaired "flashing led" switches due to what I had thought end of live as these were from the 2000's with great success.
    After a power fail experienced in the last weeks I now have multiple switches flashing and non responsive..
    Im thinking power supply failure? I have 4 power supplies and no burden attached.
    Any suggestions on what to do as I have 5 switches failed and sometimes the work and at other times dont?
    What is my options on upgrading power supplies and why would so many fail or react like they do after a power outage?
    What is a suitable option for a replacement Cbus 1 power supply etc.
    Switches aren't cheap as we all know.. so Im looking for a why and how to check power supplies and if ones "clamping" he rest a suitable alternative to upgrade to a newer set of power supplies
    Any help appreciated
    I also struggle to connect a LOT via the cbus comms.. Its hit and miss mostly

jib, Jul 19, 2022
  2. jib

Ashley

Multiple switches flashing is invariably a power supply or comms problem.

If you are able, remove a switch from the wall and check the DC voltage between the two lines. If it is below 15V you have a dead power supply (if it is below about 20V you have marginal power supply).

If you have the original (non-DIN) power supplies you have done well if they have lasted this long.

The power supply is easily replaced with a new DIN mounted one. You will need to check the network current requirements first though.

Are you talking about connecting to the network with Toolkit here? What interface are you using?

Ashley, Jul 19, 2022
  3. jib

jib

Yes connecting via toolkit is hard and requires multiple scans .. (thats been a struggle since ever!)
    Note... my house was built and this installed in Cbus inception. I have gone thru the whole home and put "bootlace" on all connections and removed a massive amount of "multiple" cables years ago as it was a "cluster Fk" that was wired by the initial sparky like "more cables are good"
    I removed a lot of unneeded "data" connections about 5 years ago and it improved the system well.
    A cbus 2 power supply appears rj45, my power supplies are currently wired via a serial connection?

Thanks for your feedback, I'll give that a go and feedback results.

Im seriously considering forgoing the ability to switch ccts via computer as the upgrade costs just by FAR outway the switch and power supply replacements and just doing a rewire to fixed wiring?

jib, Jul 19, 2022
Ask a Question