BW Touch Screen turning off Groups

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by l60mcm, May 25, 2016.

1. l60mcm

l60mcm

I currently have an Issue with a BW Touch Screen where it seems to be sending out random requests to turn off random lighting groups in the house. I have opened the log file in tool kit and even when no one is in the house. the log seems to show that the Touch Screen turns off roughly 10 random groups over 10mins every hour or so.

I first noticed the issues last night when I fell asleep with the bedroom lights on and when I woke up they were off. It also happened later that night in a different room where the lights just turned off for no apparent reason

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

l60mcm, May 25, 2016
  2. l60mcm

tsman

The B&W touchscreen uses a resistive touchscreen layer which means any pressure is considered to be a finger press. Is the fascia fitted correctly and the touchscreen layer itself clean + undamaged? I've seen problems where there was some crud in between the fascia and touchscreen which caused phantom touches.

tsman, May 25, 2016
  3. l60mcm

l60mcm

Thanks for your response I will check that when I get home. I don?t think that is the issue as none off the groups that are getting pressed are on the home page

l60mcm, May 25, 2016
  4. l60mcm

l60mcm

I have tried to clean the unit I also tried updating the units firmware and the project but still no joy. The unit still seems to be issuing random off commands. Has anyone seen this issue before

l60mcm, May 26, 2016
  5. l60mcm

jboer

I would unplug the screen and confirm that it is the screen. Some output units can cause what you are describing and in the logs they appear to come from an input device.

But yes, unplug the screen and then log again and see if it all goes away. If not it is probably a relay or dimmer unit that is sending out the commands. Are all the groups/channels that are turning off, all on one relay or dimmer unit or over a few?

jboer, May 26, 2016
  6. l60mcm

l60mcm

Thanks I will give that a go the groups are across nearly all my output devices I would need to do through the log file to confirm exactly how many output units are affected

l60mcm, May 26, 2016
  7. l60mcm

l60mcm

I have disconnected the touch from the network and now with the log opened the random group off commands seem to have stopped. I will need to let the log run a bit longer to see if it has definitely stopped. I have tried some basic switching on the network from the dlt's (turn on/off single group) and the log file shows that ok. All my scenes are saved on the touch so them button on the dlt's do nothing as expected.

Now the question is why Is the touch sending out rouge commands and how can it be stopped/ fixed

Thanks for any help

l60mcm, May 26, 2016
  8. l60mcm

l60mcm

I have had the SC5000CT2,WE unplugged all day and the issues seems to have disappeared I will try plugging it in when I get home and see if the issue returns. is the SC5000CT2,WE made any more and does any know where I could get a replacement one in the UK

l60mcm, May 26, 2016
  9. l60mcm

NickD Moderator

The only reason I can think that a CTouch would send such unsolicited commands is if it were trying to correct an MMI error (where 2 output units are reporting different states in the MMI), and the CTouch was the last input unit to set them.

If this is what's happening it's probably a sign of marginal network communications or one or more output units that are resetting for some reason (marginal power, electrical interference, power interruptions).

Nick

NickD, May 27, 2016
  10. l60mcm

l60mcm

Hi thanks for your reply now that you come to mention it. I use the wiser CNI to connect to the network and I leave the log running for a few hours to pick up issues then when I go to check the results sometimes the toolkit cannot connect to the network and I have to restart the wiser and pc to fix issue (I am not sure if this is a wiser or pc issue, Or if it is even related to my problem)

Sorry for the hassle but what is the best way to test for the issues you suggested?

There is only myself and my wife in the house and I installed the system myself in 2010. I have not really changed anything since then and it has been hassle free until now

The install consists off

6 x 12 channel relays (either the 6 relays or 6 dimmers are powered)
    6 x 8 channel Dimmers
    3 x Pir
    17 x 5 Gang DLT
    BW 5000 Touch No logic
    Wiser

Any info would be great I will attach a log file soon to see if that helps thank you

l60mcm, May 27, 2016
  11. l60mcm

l60mcm

please see log file below thanks for any help

Attached Files:

l60mcm, May 27, 2016
  12. l60mcm

jboer

What I would do is, disconnect your screen, run PICED with your screen project connected to C-Bus, and see if you get the same thing. If you do, then it is probably what Nick was saying. If not then it is probably the screen and you will need to replace it or repair it.

jboer, May 28, 2016
  13. l60mcm

l60mcm

Hi thanks to everyone for the help. So over the week end the system seem to have settled down without me really finding out what was causing the issue. So at the minute all I can really do is keep an eye on the situation and see how it goes

l60mcm, May 31, 2016
  14. l60mcm

l60mcm

Issue back again

Hi all the issue of my lights turning themselves off returned late last week after behaving themselves for nearly 7 months. The last thing i did on the network before the issue started this time was to add a function to 2 unused buttons on one DLT and shorten a PIR timer. i am getting a cbus communication error pop up and disappear randomly on the touch screen and when i try to scan the network with toolkit i was getting duplicate units showing and then on a re scan i would get missing units.

The diagnostic i have done so far is to plug the CNI into relay 1 which has the clock and burden enabled (and a PSU), i then scanned the network and all is fine i then plugged the next unit in and all was fine, as soon as i tried to scan the network with a 3rd relay in i get 20 units showing (when physically only 4 devices are attached) with addresses of items not on my network and communication failed i unplugged it again and the network went back to normal. i bypassed the faulty relay and re plugged all other devices back in and all seems to be fine.

With both cat 5 leads disconnected from the relay the c-bus light is still flashing please see here for video Youtube link. The relay only controls the power to my TV's so it is not the end off the world if i have to leave it disconnected for a while.

1. Do you think this would cause the lights to randomly turn off?

2. Can the relay be fixed to stop this?

so far with it disconnected the lights are behaving themselves but i am going to run the log over night to see what happens

sorry for the long story but any help will be much appreciated

Thanks
    Leonard

l60mcm, Dec 18, 2016
  15. l60mcm

NickD Moderator

It sounds/looks like there may be something wrong with the C-Bus power supply in that relay unit.

For the C-Bus LED to be ON, two conditions need to be met.. there needs to be a clock detected, and the C-Bus voltage needs to be above a certain threshold.

Since it has its own power supply, then when disconnected from the rest of the network, if it has its own clock generator enabled then the C-Bus LED should be on solid, otherwise the C-Bus LED should be OFF.

A faulty power supply like this would affect network communications so it probably explains some of the other symptoms you have observed, although I'm not sure about the "all the lights going out" bit.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to fix it, it probably needs to be swapped out... it may be covered by warranty so it's worth making sure your installer sends it back (although given you're in the UK it may take a while to find its way back here for analysis).

Nick

NickD, Dec 19, 2016
  16. l60mcm

alepore

Hi,

I have had this exact issue on a large commercial site, random lights turning off. After extensive fault finding and logging it turned out to be a relay doing exactly what yours is doing when no cbus cables were connected.

When connected and watching the log it will show the off command is coming from the smartest device on the network (PAC,touchscreen)

The relay is faulty and should definitely be swapped out, in previous experiences it's not worth repairing but it's may be worth a try. If still under warranty have it replaced.

alepore, Dec 19, 2016
  17. l60mcm

l60mcm

thanks both for your reply's with the relay unplugged since last night i have had no issues on the log file.

does anyone know how long the warranty on such devices are?.

thanks again Leonard

l60mcm, Dec 19, 2016
Ask a Question