Buying used gear...worth the risk?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ss1987, Apr 27, 2022.

1. ss1987

ss1987

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone here is actively buying in the used market? I've seen there's quite a few items on eBay that regularly come up but I wonder if it's worth the risk over just going new.

I'm doing a new personal project and will be looking for the following:
    12 channel relay x3
    Universal Dimmer x3
    PIR sensors
    Saturn zen edlts and switches.
    All in all it would be around 20k worth of equipment if I went new.

Many of the listings I find don't really give much information, and the photos don't often give a clear indication of the condition.

ss1987, Apr 27, 2022
  2. ss1987

Wonkey

Ask how old and general condition.
    Concerns are paint flaking on buttons of input units.
    C-Bus is generally rock solid and if the price is OK then consider it.
    If you end up with a product or 2 failing and you have to replace you are probably still better of.
    Check part numbers of the relays and dimmers to check what voltage they are, and if they contain power supplies

Wonkey, Apr 28, 2022
  3. ss1987

Trevor

Hi ss1987,
    I have 5 x L5512RVF 12 channel relays available (With power supplies). They were purchased second hand from a C-bus system that was being replaced with a Dynalite system, they are in excellent condition, and would be fully tested prior to sale. The current firmware version loaded is 2.7.00 Mfg date 20 Oct 2011
    I would sell these for $400.00ea. This undercuts all E-bay sales of the same model (Unless you buy one from India). As i said they will be tested for C-bus operation and also Electrical safety.

I also have 14 x 2 button and 14 x 4 button Saturn C-bus wall switches, selling for $200ea with glass fascia.
    And 5 x DLT's at $350 but you said you wanted eDLT's,

I currently provide a repair service for the Colour touch screens 5080CTC1,2, and 3 versions that were originally made by Arbor Australia for Clipsal. JEA Technologies has taken over that repair service, and in the future we will be looking at also repairing other Clipsal C-bus products, but for now its just the touch screens.

regards
    Trevor Callaghan
    Workshop Manager
    JEA Technologies
    [email protected]
    PH 0404 887 463

Trevor, Apr 28, 2022
  4. ss1987

ss1987

Hi Trevor and thanks for the reply! I'll send you an email :)

ss1987, Apr 28, 2022
  5. ss1987

Conformist

As someone who regularly replaces failed components in C-Bus systems, I'd say be very careful with dimmers and relays, particularly with those containing C-Bus power supplies. I typically replace a unit every 3-4 weeks always with failed or failing power supplies. Ask for the manufacture date code from the unit. If over 10 years old, then there's a fair chance (20%+) of failure in the next 5 years. If over 15 years old, then a significant chance. Very old dimmers (such as D750's) rarely fail as they don't have on-board power supplies. They are normally killed (by a faulty load or stupid electrician:eek:). I do come across my share of stupid electricians too... and yes, I am an electrician.

Conformist, Apr 28, 2022
    Damaxx and Mr Mark like this.
  6. ss1987

ss1987

Yeah fair points. I guess a lot of it comes down to luck. But if I can save 50% or more on the gear, even if a portion of it fails down the line it was still worth the punt.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    ss1987, Apr 28, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
Ask a Question