Buying C-Touch screen online (ebay, etc)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by WACruising, Mar 23, 2013.

1. WACruising

WACruising

Hi Guys, I'm a complete newbie to c-bus so please forgive me if my questions are somewhat stupid.

I'm currently planning the build for my new home and we will be installed a cbus system through the house.
    My question is, I have seen some of the C-touch screens going for a reasonable price lately on ebay, (trying to save money where I can) but if I purchase one online do they still work even though it's from a different state?

For example I'm in WA and if I purchase one off ebay or the like say from Victoria will there be any issues with serial numbers, etc as it was originally purchased in another state? Or any other problems, like if the unit they were selling was stolen? I don't care if it is, just means I get it cheaper, lol. But would hate to buy one, set the home up completely then come time to commission the house have the installer tell me the screen won't work as it wasn't purchased in WA.

Any help would be great. I'm also trying to purchase the dimmer relays online as well so the same goes.

WACruising, Mar 23, 2013
  2. WACruising

bmerrick

Hi WACruising,

There is no problem using screens sourced from others on your own C-Bus network as long as they aren't faulty (or stolen of course). Many of the sellers on Ebay are often sparkys with one or two widgets left over from a project that have been cluttering their parts bins for a while which they want to move along so sometimes a bargain is to be had.

Of course they will not necessarily have any warranty other than that conveyed by the seller so it is best to ascertain if the seller has good feedback and has sold C-Bus before with positive feedback from others. Also you should ensure they have a return policy in the event that is doesn't perform perfectly.

Just be aware that other vendors of a range of different equipment have had counterfeit versions of some of their products sold through auction sites, so if the deal sounds too good to be true, or comes from a place where you would not expect it to come from, or the vendor has a slew of high tech products all at 'remarkable' prices, it may not be real gear. That being said, I have not heard of any C-Bus replicas myself.

You should consider asking a sparky for an all up installed price of your job and you may be surprised to find a fully warranted job by a professional may not cost too much more than what you think you can get it all done for.

I have also found most installers are happier using new equipment rather than trying to patch together a slew of second hand gear provided by an owner. After all, if something goes wrong with it, they know the problem will come back to them to resolve. You should consider this as well in that you may be charged a lot more for install and ongoing support if supplying the gear yourself.

I hope other readers won't begrudge me a quick gratuitous plug of my own bunch of left over and used stock cluttering up my parts bins :eek:

All the best,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    bmerrick, Mar 23, 2013
Ask a Question