Bust Power Supply

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Dvine, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Dvine

Dvine

Had a power outage and the result was this power supply emitting the below voltage. The unit is 6 years old so no warranty, thought id pull it apart and have a look see.

Pretty keen to see if I can manage to fix it.

What would be your approach?

FullSizeRender[320].jpg

Dvine, Oct 5, 2016
  2. Dvine

znelbok

At worst I would hope that Clipsal could sell you a new board. The units need to be more serviceable - "we" should be able to open then up, replace a board that is readily available from Clipsal and then put back into service.

znelbok, Oct 5, 2016
  3. Dvine

ashleigh Moderator

The simple reason they are not "more servicable" is that there is mains inside. That's a hazard and so should be difficult to open and work on. You don't want just anybody pulling them apart to have a looksee.

ashleigh, Oct 5, 2016
  4. Dvine

Ashley W

Pretty poor excuse that one. There are mains in all 240v powered devices, most of which isn't too difficult to open. And things like old CRT TV's high voltage even with mains disconnected, yet easily opened with a few screws.

Would reckon the reason they are sealed the way they are is because of the environment they are designed to work in. I see similar seal units on a lot of the satellite stuff that I work on.

Ashley W, Oct 6, 2016
  5. Dvine

ashleigh Moderator

Actually in the newer DIN enclosures, its quite straightforward to get them apart. The older enclosures were a pain and had parts that were glued. And they were glued because once upon a time one or two fell off, exposing mains, and the poo was flung at the fan.

ashleigh, Oct 6, 2016
  6. Dvine

Dvine

To be fair if your going to service/install or disconnect this gear you are going to be working with mains power anyway, so you should be an electrician. Now if you said that we made it hard to service because we didn't want Joe Blow sparky pulling it apart and thinking he can fix it ... aka me ...., cause another 6 problems and then try claim it on warranty then sure seal away.

Anyhoo. Is there a way I can disable the power supply. Would still need 240v to power the unit tho.

Dvine, Oct 6, 2016
  7. Dvine

znelbok

Thats a nifty idea - on all units with power supply have the option to remove a jumper/set a switch that turns off the power supply.

If you have a setup that is supplying too much power, you have to remove a power supply and if they are built in that means removing the whole unit and replacing it (not cheap). Being able to flick a switch to turn off the power would be handy.

znelbok, Oct 6, 2016
  8. Dvine

jboer

+6 on what Zenlbok said..

jboer, Oct 7, 2016
Ask a Question