Business Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techelec, Jul 4, 2005.

1. techelec

techelec

As installers we have certian issues which we must deal with in the course of running our business's, as in any business I guess. I am just wondering if there is any other installers who would like to be part of a thread where we can share stories on the business side of c-bus. Be it rates or methods of obtaining new clients, client relations. Anything really.
    If so, maybe it should be a locked or private thread.

techelec, Jul 4, 2005
  2. techelec

Nick Mullins

In A ideal World!

In a Ideal World that would be a great idea Mate,
    However the unfortuant reality of the issue that business is like a Poker Game.You play them with both friends and foes.Like poker regardless of who you are playing against if you going around showing everone your cards you will never ever win a game.
    Its only my two bobs worth but if we all expose our rates then pretty soon some drongos will cut the #$** out of there rates to win the jobs and wreck another specailst field.At least when everyone is still guessing what everyone is charging then there is still a point to all of us investing Our time in progressing the CBus Society.
    Share the info and get ideas of the other installers you trust and work with :)

Nick Mullins, Jul 4, 2005
  3. techelec

tjay

interesting theory?

Nick,
    not trying to pick on you, but down south we hold Installer meetings roughly every 2 months, where we try to assist with C-Bus business and marketing issues. Part of an emerging market is to effectively assist market interest. I would sincerely hope that we are not already at the stage where electrical contractors are right now; slashing margins to increase sales volume. Relativity is an interesting perspective. You wouldn't order a $35 dollar steak at a restaraunt to have it cooked for you by the kithchenhand would you? :confused:

tjay, Jul 8, 2005
  4. techelec

Nick Mullins

Food for thought

Gday Tjay,
    Thanks for the reply . Point taken . Installer meetings sound like a good idea . May be in the future we might start some meetings for installers . At the moment is still very new to our area.What sort of issues do you discuss at the meetings ?. Do you find that people open up ?.

Food for thought, If A Chef and a Kitchen hand are wearing the same uniform ,You as the consumer wouldnt know the difference of who cooked the steak , until its on the plate and it tastes like #$$# . Then its a little bit too late.

:)

Nick Mullins, Jul 10, 2005
  5. techelec

tjay

installer meetings

Nick,
    Some of the discussions that we have had involves effective group marketing and untapped areas of construction, new security licensing, different custom switchboard manufacturers to look at, alternate blind motors to use, different design software to look at, and at our next meeting we have got some business coaches coming in to have a chat.
    To be honest the first two weren't that well attended, but the last meeting we had roughly 20 different installers all with a new view, so it was very productive. If you would like to no more drop me an email.

tjay, Jul 10, 2005
  6. techelec

techelec

Meetings in the south

Hi tjay,

Its interesting to read two different opinions on business relations.
    These issues have been brought up at the approved installer meetings and generally Clipsal don't have a postion on rates and related topics. It is something which is left up to contractors which is probably a good thing as far as legals are concerned.
    I would be interested in attending your meetings, I am in the south of sydney, however I haven't heard about it. If you can give me some details I will get in touch.
    You can email me at : [email protected]

Cheers

techelec, Aug 8, 2005
Ask a Question