Bunch of newbie questions

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 162Brook, Mar 8, 2007.

1. 162Brook

162Brook

Ok sorry if these questions can be answered by the archive or are in manuals, I've looked, but so far no luck.

I'm the uncertain owner of this new c-bus enabled apartment. I think it was built a few years ago, and has neo (unlabelled) switches throughout..

My questions:

If I want to do more than basic programming, I need to interface a PC with my control panel, correct? the cheapest way to do this is to buy the almost $500 C-bus to IP gadget, and plug it in then "figure it out"? or do I need to also buy software or is the free download (clipsal toolkit or c-gate) sufficient?

The Neo switches are IR enabled by default? they didn't come with a remote. My logitech harmony does not appear to control them, even though it "knows" about clipsal c-bus. Do I have to buy the clipsal Neo remote in order to copy its IR commands?

I'll buy those neo replacement panels with space for a label. What next, though? buy a printer and certain sticky labels?

thanks!

162Brook, Mar 8, 2007
  2. 162Brook

PSC

Toolkit what is used to program C-Bus, it can be downloaded for FREE from the CIS website.

Probably. You could always try www.remotecentral.com for the codes.

Why don't you purchase a Brother P-Touch (or similar) and make your own labels?

PSC, Mar 8, 2007
  3. 162Brook

Richo

Yes.

I would have thought a serial PCI is cheaper than the CNI (ethernet).

C-Bus Toolkit ships with a significant help file that covers almost everything you will need to get started. Not everyone can learn by reading help files though so it really depends on you and your natural tendancies as to the best way to go forward. There are training course (cost money) as well as this forum to help you get going.

As Peter said the no cost C-Bus Toolkit software is all that is required for most units. The other few units use other software at no cost as well. Only our PC based runtime system (for control) costs anything and is not mandantory for a C-Bus install.

Or if you live near a Clipsal Sales office or nice Installer they may let you bring your remote in and learn off a Neo remote if they have one lying around.

Hand writing has a certain charm to it. :)

Richo, Mar 8, 2007
  4. 162Brook

JohnC

JohnC, Mar 9, 2007
  5. 162Brook

162Brook

Thanks, I ordered some bits and pieces.

I'm hoping this PC interface will also allow me to turn down the neo night-light blue from "nuclear waste storage facility" to off, at least in the bedrooms!

162Brook, Mar 12, 2007
  6. 162Brook

JohnC

Absolutely !

JohnC, Mar 13, 2007
Ask a Question