Bridging 2 Wired networks wirelessly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scooter, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Scooter

Scooter

Hi,

Hoping for some assistance/recomendations on how to tackle bridging 2 wired networks;

I have a house (cored filled block) on a wired network, approx 50 metres away I have a new shed which will contain power for pool and lighting.

My thoughts were I would like to create another wired network in the shed and bridge the 'pool network to the house wirelessly' (no chance of running cable to the shed incedentally) so I can control pool lighting and anything else I run from the shed in future.

Open to suggetsions on a different methodogy if i am headed down the wrong path..

Thanks in advance, Scott

Scooter, Nov 4, 2008
  2. Scooter

znelbok

Its not possible.

Have a look at this thread I started (http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4174)

I too want to create a wireless connection from my house to my front gate where I want a output unit.

Here is the BUT - apparently there is firmware that exists that allows a CNI to work transparently and communicates with another CNI, thus creating a C-Bus - Ethernet - C-Bus bridge. You can then add wireless Ethernet in the middle. It is not supported by Clipsal and so you are on your own.

I have a large shed and the house both using C-bus. I ran a gel filled cat6 cable (underground) between them. There is no lightning protection in my case, but apparently a bridge will give you this (opto isolation anyway), but that creates a new network which has its own drawbacks.

Mick

znelbok, Nov 4, 2008
  3. Scooter

Scooter

Thanks Mick.....

Reading through that seems I may have underestimated the complexity of the task. Having said that I am interested in the 3rd party hack if you have any details on the firware it would be much appreciated.

Scooter, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Scooter

znelbok

I did not try the hack as I did not have two spare PCI's to play with. I have one for programming the system and I borrowed one for some other testing, but I could not load firmware into it.

All I know is what is in the last post of that thread. contact them and see how you go. If you do give it a go then make sure you let us all know how it went.

Mick

znelbok, Nov 5, 2008
  5. Scooter

SeamlessAutomation

Hi Guys,

It isnt really that complex, all you need is two Clipsal wireless gateways i have an installation with a pool house about 40 mtrs away and the house can wirelessly talk to the pool house and vice versa, as i also could not run a cable, it works quite well in tool kit you end up with 3 networks network 1, a wireless and network 2.......... in my case HOUSE - WIRELESS - POOLHOUSE so gateway 1 on HOUSE is the near side, the far side is WIRELESS where the link to gateway 2 is made, then from gateway 2 the nearside is WIRELESS and the far side is POOLHOUSE this may sound a little confusing but quite easy to set up no third party equipment required the funny part is to get the wireless gateways to talk you need a wireless plugpack or switch after programming you can take it off, i got in touch with CIS in melbourne a couple of the guys helped me out,

Cheers

SeamlessAutomation, Nov 10, 2008
  6. Scooter

znelbok

Thats great feedback. It was previously stated that it would be difficult and that is not what it was designed for.

How far could one expect a wireless set-up to work

Are the antenna's detachable so a better more direction one be added?

I have a 70m link I want to get going.

Mick

znelbok, Nov 10, 2008
  7. Scooter

SeamlessAutomation

Bridging Two Wireless Networks

Hi Mick,

Not sure on 70mtrs, the pool house was about 40mtrs i may have a couple gateways floating around at home, i have my own not sure if there is another if i can test for you i will and let you know the results,

Cheers.

SeamlessAutomation, Nov 10, 2008
  8. Scooter

Scooter

Genius! this was actually where my initial thoughts were! Off to purchase some gateways...thanks.

Scooter, Nov 19, 2008
  9. Scooter

SeamlessAutomation

Good To Hear

Cheers Scott if you need any information give me a yell

SeamlessAutomation, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question