Bridges and CNI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by more-solutions, Jun 1, 2011.

1. more-solutions

more-solutions

I have to connect via C-gate and a CNI to an existing application comprising several networks connected via bridges.

I've never really got my head around what I can/can't do with a bridge. What limitations are there in terms of where I locate the CNI if I need to be able to control/monitor every unit across all of the networks from that CNI?

more-solutions, Jun 1, 2011
  2. more-solutions

Newman

If the site is large and there are quite a few bridges the site should be wired with a C-Bus "backbone" and then there will be 1 or more bridges coming off this backbone. The CNI should be connected to the backbone in this case. This will ensure that it can see all the units in the installation.

If the site is small and there's only a handful of bridges then it doesn't matter so much.

If you have the existing C-Bus Toolkit project file for this site then the CNI will need to be located on the same network where the original PCI/CNI used for commissioning was located.

If it's an existing site then take note of what Application Addresses have been used on the different networks. Also look in the bridge configuration to see if the "Send to adjacent network" and "Send to other remote network" options have been set.

If you have some specific concerns/worries/things you need to change, then bring those up and we'll try and answer them.

Newman, Jun 1, 2011
  3. more-solutions

more-solutions

What counts as "large"?

I'm not sure exactly what I'm dealing with here but I believe it's about a dozen networks.

I have Project Manager files for the networks (it's an old install, I don't think there's any DIN-rail kit on-site, does that affect things?

Thanks, I'm really grateful for your help and feel a lot more comfortable now!

more-solutions, Jun 2, 2011
  4. more-solutions

Newman

Put your CNI on the network in the same location as the original PCI used to commision the install. You'll be able to see all units/networks that way.

If the bridges are pre-DIN then there will be some features that are not supported by them. The best approach is probably to make sure you've got a spare bridge in your back pocket just in case Toolkit gives you a dialogue about something not being supported by your existing bridges. Chances are pretty good that everything will be fine.

Newman, Jun 3, 2011
  5. more-solutions

more-solutions

Thanks for the tips!

I've done some digging and I have only 8 networks, and it looks like they're all (accounding to the projects as upgraded to Toolkit) showing as BRIDGE1N on all networks except for one conveniently labelled as "BACKBONE" where they're all there as BRIDGE1F, so that ties in with the topology I was looking for and I just need to make sure the CNI goes on that BACKBONE network.

All the firmwares are showing as 2.0.1 - is that likely to present me with any problems?

more-solutions, Jun 6, 2011
  6. more-solutions

Newman

Nope, they should be fine, but have a spare bridge in your back pocket just in case.

Newman, Jun 6, 2011
  7. more-solutions

more-solutions

I have a bridge in my kit of spares so I should be OK then. (My unit won't be amazingly new either but it is at least DIN-rail - can I assume that will be OK?)

more-solutions, Jun 6, 2011
  8. more-solutions

Newman

It should be fine.

Newman, Jun 20, 2011
  9. more-solutions

more-solutions

I'm sending a guy to site tomorrow to connect using a current Toolkit on his laptop via the existing PCI on site to see what he can extract.

Presumably this will tell me if we have any issues with the bridges?

I assume that if we do have any problems with the bridges, they'll still work fine after I disconnect Toolkit?

more-solutions, Jun 21, 2011
  10. more-solutions

Newman

Correct on all counts. :)

Newman, Jun 22, 2011
Ask a Question