Bosch Alarm and Daikin AC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by timmmmm, Jun 2, 2009.

1. timmmmm

timmmmm

Hi there,

I am in the process of building a new house, it's about three weeks from lockup, and it's crunch time as far as the CBUS install goes. Before I make my mind up one way or another, one thing I am wondering is whether there is any specific interface between a Daikin ducted air system and the CBUS network. From what I have read there seems to be some interfaces around the place, but haven't come across anyone who has used one. The A/C comes with a screen to control the different zones around the house, but it would seem logical to use the touch for the A/C as well as the CBUS. That would lead to one less "box on the wall". Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for? and has anyone used one of these interfaces?

The other stumbling block is the house alarm. The builder uses an alarm installer that prefers the Bosch Solution 16 system. I am obviously able to specify whatever alarm system I prefer, and I have had a NESS D8 that was installed in a previous house without dramas. Is there a benefit to using a Clipsal alarm system over a 3rd party like Bosch? The alarm installer says that the Bosch is the best alarm, but I haven't actually quizzed him as to what makes it the best.

Hopefully someone has an opinion.....

Thanks in advance,

timmmmm

timmmmm, Jun 2, 2009
  2. timmmmm

Conformist

Does the Daikin come with a high level interface option such as RS232, RS485 or ethernet (TCP/IP)? If so, do Daikin publish their communication protocols? If the answer is yes to these questions, then it is at least possible to control this.

Alarm installers will always want to install their preferred alarm system and say they are the best. Whilst it is a little subjective, most alarms and their functionality, are very similar. The main thing (IMHO) is that it's up to the usability of the alarm by you, the user. If you like the Ness, then I would suggest, go for that. I would suggest, using the Homesafe panel (made for Clipsal by Ness) as it already has a native interface into C-Bus. I'm sure we may see some responses from others on this thread saying that system 'A' will be better, but given you already like Ness panels and are familiar with them, stick with that option... you are the customer. Don't let your installer dictate a panel if you would prefer the familiar Ness/Homesafe option.

Cheers

Conformist, Jun 2, 2009
  3. timmmmm

ashleigh Moderator

Re Daikin - please do some searching in this forum. I'm about 99% sure that there is an interface brick available (RS-232, I think) and you can then use logic code in a touchscreen or PAC to link cbus to the A/C. I think there are others who have posted here that explained what and how they are doing this.

Re Alarm. The Clipsal Homesafe and Ness D16 have native cbus interfaces. There are others also, with varying levels of interface compatibility and feature sets. For example, the Elk M1 is widely used, so is the Comfort system from Cytech. Both are reputable. It depends what you want to do. If you only want the alarm system to be an alarm system - use the Homesafe or the D16. If it needs to do more, use one of the others. As far as I am aware the Bosch does not have a cbus interface so any integration there will be either non-existant (at worst) or clunky (at best).

ashleigh, Jun 3, 2009
  4. timmmmm

timmmmm

Thanks for the replies.

I have spoken to the AC installer and sorted out the issues there. Daikin has a new touch screen that will come with the model being installed and the installer reckons he has 1 (or possibly more??) clients who have gone to that screen and left the AC stand alone and not interfaced to the CBUS.

I also spoke to the alarm installer again, and he has reccomended a "Tecom Challenger". I think more research is called for - I've never heard of this system before - Think I might stick with the Ness otherwise...

timmmmm, Jun 3, 2009
  5. timmmmm

Conformist

Tecom challenger is one of the offers by Direct Alarm Supplies (a Hills company)... more for commercial installations really. Stick to the Ness with the C-Bus interface. It works and you know the system.

Cheers

Conformist, Jun 3, 2009
  6. timmmmm

DarylMc

I am currently in the process of installing a system with similar requirements.
    There are 4 Daikin units which have been fitted with Daikin central control boards and cabled for central control.
    I have purchased an interface http://www.xdimax.com/cool/cool.html#DSC
    and plan to use a PAC to communicate with it.
    The alarm system I have is Ness M1 with C-Bus interface.
    This is the first time I have used any of this equipment and I will be able to give more information about it after it is commisioned.

DarylMc, Jun 3, 2009
  7. timmmmm

timmmmm

Thanks,

Please let me know your findings. I would love to know how it went. Particularly the alarm system.

Thanks,

timmmmm

timmmmm, Jun 3, 2009
  8. timmmmm

Conformist

Thanks for the feedback Daryl

Can you give an indication as to how much the Coolmaster costs?

Conformist, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question