Blue Cat 5 in switchboard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moke007, May 20, 2010.

1. moke007

moke007

Hi Guy's

Have just done a small install and used Clipsal Cat5 Blue as I read somwhere it didn't matter "Silly me". I have just discovered the mains rating of the pink cable rule. "Still silly me".

I don't really want to buy a full box of pink as I only need a couple of meters to get to the first input unit.

Option 1: Is it possible to get longer pink patch cables than the 300mm supplied?

OPtion 2: Can't I just run the blue cable in corro conduit to the back of the board and teminate in an enclosure thus maintaining double insulation, then use a short pink patch cable into the relay unit?

Many thanks
    Jim

moke007, May 20, 2010
  2. moke007

mmd

Whilst the pink is recommended for the reasons you have outlined, I have seen numerous installations (by other sparkies I should point out) where for whatever reason blue was used instead of pink either in the switchboard or for the main run and never had a problem with any of it.

Michael

mmd, May 21, 2010
  3. moke007

NickD Moderator

They won't have a problem with it until something goes wrong and the lawyers discover that their installation didn't comply with wiring rules or the manufacturer's recommendation. Then things get ugly.

Don't cut corners. Do it properly. At the end of the day it's your license and livelihood on the line (because the buck stops with you if you sign off the installation), and for the sake of a few extra bucks for some pink cable on the top of what is normally a multi-thousand dollar installation, its just stupid to cut corners.

Nick

NickD, May 21, 2010
  4. moke007

znelbok

What you say Nick makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately in this situation, it is not just the difference in cost between the pink and blue cable. The job has already been done, so there is time and money in changing it out.

Dont get me wrong, I believe the job should have been done the right way the forst time and I have nothing to do with it either - just making an observation.

Mick

znelbok, May 21, 2010
  5. moke007

NickD Moderator

Mick - you're right - my response was not intended to the OP - which was why I quoted the second post.

I'm not in a position to authoritatively comment on the OP's question, although Option 2 *sounds* perfectly reasonable to me.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
    NickD, May 21, 2010
  6. moke007

Noremac1

If you are joining blue to pink in the switchboard and running the blue in conduit, ensure that the join to between the cables maintains double insulation as many slack people strip off the pink and just use phone connectors to join the cable

Noremac1, May 21, 2010
  7. moke007

moke007

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, I am just going to order a box of pink and replace that link from the last switch into the switchboard. I think my option 2 would comply with the rules, but after the walls get lined it will be very difficult to replace, so not worth the risk.

Have to try and find another cbus job now to use up the cable :)

thanks again, Jim

moke007, May 21, 2010
Ask a Question