Blinds via Wiser & RS485

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by mich, May 13, 2011.

1. mich

mich

Hi,

I was at CEDIA last night and saw this from somfy which is a module that can take RS485 and outputs blind control via RF. It was shown at the dynalite stand.

http://www.somfy.com.au/downloads/au/rs485_4ilt_brochure.pdf

I have a wiser unit I have only just got to play with but havent set up yet, but am wondering whether I can use the PAC unit in the wiser and an ethernet to RS485 converter (which are readily available at places like jaycar) to connect to the ethernet PC interface on the Wiser CNI to control my blinds. If so, is this something that should be relatively simple for someone who is familiar with basic cbus and PICED, but new to wiser.

Cheers;
    Michael.

mich, May 13, 2011
  2. mich

NickD Moderator

If it's Somfy's generic RS485 protocol and not Dynet (or whatever Dynalite call their protocol which IIRC runs on RS485), which from the brochure looks like the case, then yes, in theory if you have the protocol, you could connect to it from the Wiser logic engine over ethernet, via an RS485-ethernet converter.

You would then just need some logic to convert the C-Bus commands coming from the Shutter Relay widget to up, down and stop commands to the appropriate blind channel.

Nick

NickD, May 13, 2011
  3. mich

oracle

if it is the the somfy controller i have used before that recieves (485) and transmits on wireless upto 4 or 8 channels for the somy blinds - I am sure the module also accepts 232 whih I have controlled via PAC controllers previously.
    I was a t cedia and saw the unit you were talking about - and it looked the same asthetically as what I had used before and did not give it a second look.
    so i am not 100%

oracle, May 13, 2011
Ask a Question