blind issues

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by AdamLimelight, Jan 17, 2017.

1. AdamLimelight

AdamLimelight

so the shutter relays are rated to control 2amp load.
    what would happen if load exceeds this?
    Would the relay just stop?

My issue is new shutter relays are installed, controlling traditional style curtains not roller blinds. Using a ZEN EDLT with 2 key function, closing will operate for about 2-3 seconds then stop, press again, another 2-3 secs then stop. happens all the way till closed then open works fine!

My thought was that curtains may be too heavy for the motor therefore increased current to operate, and cutting out relay?

I'm thinking of installing a contactor for open and 1 for close to handle increased load to see if this could be the issue

Any ideas??

AdamLimelight, Jan 17, 2017
  2. AdamLimelight

Ashley

The shutter relay has no inbuilt current detection so if you exceed the ratings it will eventually just fail open circuit or welded closed. If you issue a close command to the relay it will activate the close relay for the programmed fail safe time or until another command is issued. Have you run the diagnostic routine to see what commands are being issued? What happens if you press the close button on the relay directly? Have you measured the current draw while the curtain is closing and opening? Does the curtain motor have an over-current or over temperature cutout?

Ashley, Jan 17, 2017
  3. AdamLimelight

znelbok

Also check for binding of the runners in the track which could lead to an over current situation.

znelbok, Jan 17, 2017
  4. AdamLimelight

NickD Moderator

It sounds like you may assigned the the same group as the shutter relay is using to another channel in another output unit.

Have a look in the application log and see if there is an extra command coming from the eDLT corresponding to when it stops. If there is, then this is what's happening...

The shutter relay control is done using "level translation mode", where the key unit sends level 1% for close/stop and 99% for open/stop.

When you press close, the level is set to 1%. The shutter relay sees this and, if it's currently stopped, it interprets the command as a close, so it operates the close relay and sets its target level to 0. It then starts reporting this level in the MMI.

If there is another output unit with the same group, it still thinks the level is 1%, and so there is an MMI error.

When there is an MMI error, the last unit to set that group jumps in and re-broadcasts the level, in this case 1%, which the shutter relay then interprets as a stop (since it's currently running).

Nick

NickD, Jan 18, 2017
  5. AdamLimelight

AdamLimelight

Thanks for the input guys.
    I'm leaning towards nicks solution as I have a funny feeling I forgot to remove the old c/o relay group address's off. it makes sense too.

I have no issues with open or close when using the existing c/o relay. I'm back on site next week so I will let u know how it goes.

cheers

AdamLimelight, Jan 19, 2017
Ask a Question