Blind Control using 4 ch c/o relay

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Burton Electrical, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Burton Electrical

Burton Electrical

Hi,

I have read alot of previous posts on this topic however im hoping to still do what i intend to do, any advice will be much appreciated.

Situation: Existing installation with wired and wireless networks bridged now looking to intergrate 11 of motorised blinds potentially using (not purchased yet however place has already been prewired for 240v two active setup) 240V AC (two active) motulux brand tubular motors that claim to be cbus compatible and can be parallel wired with mechanical limits (115W / 485mA each) which will be grouped in 4 banks of 4,3,2 and 2 and each bank to be parallel wired.

Problem: Funds are limited however existing install has spare (2of) 4 ch c/o relays and 1 of spare 12ch voltage free relay. Hoping to wire parallel wired banks of blinds to these and use a seperate normal relay ch wired to a c/o relay ch. to each bank, rather than fork out over 1K for 11 shutter relays!
    Am aware of using 470nF capacitor on load.
    However the job has no wiser, pac or touchy (may get a pac later on) but was hoping to use existing infrastructure for now.
    How can i setup the required 0.5 sec delay between change of direction? Can i do this with an existing input or output unit using timers or logic somehow?
    Also a timer just longer than travel up/down time in case limits fail?

Was planning on using an existing DLT or saturn sw. with scenes for stop / start / open / close for control, not sure how many buttons yet but maybe using short or long presses to control preset levels (ie: half open / third / two thirds open etc.) and the other for all up / down or vice versa? need advice on this please.

And also, possibly replicating the above switching via an existing c-bus wireless remote! ie: each of 4 banks of blinds on the 4 key buttons on remote for say stop / start and was then hoping the up/down arrow keys could control the travel??

Not sure if this is asking too much of the existing setup to handle all of this!

Any help / advice / suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Matt

Burton Electrical, Aug 14, 2015
  2. Burton Electrical

Roosta

Hi,

Honestly from my experience the cost of getting the required blind relay modules is totally worth the time saved with mucking around programming to set it up with a C/O relay and probably requiring a logic device of some sort anyways... Perhaps look at selling the unused cbus modules and then purchase the blind relays with the funds gained from that?

All that you want to do is possible, just not easily/practical with the devices you already have..

Do yourself and customer a favour and do it right.. Get the blind controllers and a wiser/pac and away you go..

Roosta, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Burton Electrical

Ashley

There's just no way you would get this to work without a logic unit and lots of complex programming. Listen to Roosta. It's good advice

Ashley, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Burton Electrical

rikaussie

Would you be able to use just 4 shutter relays? One for each bank?

rikaussie, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Burton Electrical

Burton Electrical

Sound advice

Hi Guys,

This is a long overdue reply but i rarely get on here as i dont do a lot of cbus jobs but just wanted to say thanks for your sound advice!
    I ended up scraping this idea just because i had the hardware mentioned and sold some of it off as Roosta suggested and eventually went with the dedicated blind relays as suggested and boy am I glad I did!
    They are obviously made for this purpose for a reason! They are working like a dream and were very easy to setup, well worth it it in the end.

Cheers again.
    :)

Burton Electrical, Nov 2, 2016
Ask a Question