blind control single channel relay

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by jonnyp64, Jan 2, 2023.

1. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

I want to replace an existing switch with an eDLT Zen which will include blind control. The original installer has used normal relays (non interlock, 2 channels per blind) for blind control-direct 240v.
    My two questions are this,
    1-is there any way to interlock the 2 relay channels using logic for example.
    2-can i use the left/right function of one button on the eDLT as i would using a normal blind relay otherwise i have to use two buttons?
    I probably already know the answer to thee questions but maybe someone can enlighten me.

jonnyp64, Jan 2, 2023
  2. jonnyp64

Wonkey

Yes it could be done using the scene cycle feature.
    Set up scenes to
    1 Turn on Open channel and turn Off Close channel
    2 Turn off both channels
    3 Turn on Close channel and turn off open channel
    then in the scene cycle it up to cycle scenes 1, 2, 3, 2 this will help to make sure the motors have stopped prior to reversing the rotation and causing issue

If you have got access to a logic engine ( Wiser or SHAC) then you can use that to ensure that both GA's are Off prior to turning on the Open or Closed group. You could also put a timer in to turn the group off after a timed period. Then you would only need to use 2 scenes in the eDLT to trigger the logic module

I am surprised that a normal relay has been used for this type of blind control as you could theoretically have both channel on at the same time, with disastrous results.
    Check what type of relay is in use, if its a 4 channel change over relay and wired correctly then that's OK, more info can be provided if needed.
    Logic in a Wiser or SHAC could achieve some basic sort of interlock if really needed but not ideal from a safety point of view check the relay type please.

Wonkey, Jan 2, 2023
  3. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

Definitely not changeover relays, just normal 8 or 12 channel ones. It’s surprising the number of jobs that I come across wired this way and yes, I agree that it’s an accident waiting to happen!!
    I had considered using scenes but wasn’t sure whether I could configure with a timer using left/right of button.

jonnyp64, Jan 2, 2023
  4. jonnyp64

Wonkey

Have you got a Wiser or Shac if yes then you should be able to achieve what you are after using the eDLT left/right buttons.
    What safe guards were in place previously before changing to eDLT.

Wonkey, Jan 3, 2023
  5. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

no Wiser or Shac and as far as i can see, no other safeguards in place. There is an existing Saturn DLT which uses two buttons for up/down as per screen shot.
    As you can see it looks like buttons 1+2 and 5+6 are just configured as timers for each group. There are no scenes setup on this switch.

Attached Files:

jonnyp64, Jan 4, 2023
  6. jonnyp64

Wonkey

On a relay there is an interlock feature, check to see if that has been used. In this situation if used for channels 1 and 2 of the unit it would provide a little protection, but still not ideal.
    If you want it on one button for Up and Down then the scene idea is a close as I can think given the products you have, maybe consider buying shutter relay(s) , would solve many problem and be safe.

Wonkey, Jan 5, 2023
Ask a Question