Black&White Mk 2 with logic problem

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by conor1, Dec 14, 2013.

1. conor1

conor1

Hi Folks ,
    Was wondering if anybody has came a cross non responsive touch screen , I installed unit 5/6 years ago and it will not respond to touch ,I have uploaded latest firmware but it hasn't helped .
    Thanks in advance
    Conor

conor1, Dec 14, 2013
  2. conor1

bmerrick

Hi Conor,

I am assuming it is only the touch overlay that is faulty as you imply the screen still displays info. If the screen itself is not displaying at all, then it is probably dead.

If it is the touch overlay, these may still be available to order as spare parts - talk to your local Clipsal office.

The problem with these is usually that someone decided to clean your screen too aggressively and water/solvent ran down to the bottom of the touch overlay. Here, it wicks up into the touch overlay shorting between the operational layers.

You can often see the water penetration as a small dis-colouration near the glue layer at the edge of the LCD touch overlay (with the fascia off of course) if this is the case.

At times I have recovered wet overlays by sitting the touch screen in strong sunlight for a few days (powered or un-powered) to evaporate the moisture. Alternatively, a hair dryer on LOW and kept a distance of about 30cm away and kept moving back and forth over the water exposed edge, but with the unit flat. If it gets too hot, it will kill it too and melt the glue surround layer so you are really just looking to increase evaporation making it slightly warm (like being in the sun), not cook it.

You can also look for the connector where it attaches to the main PCB and ensure it is snug.

Other than that, Clipsal may take it as a repair but that will likely be costly and take a while based on your location.

Hope that helps get you going,

Brad

bmerrick, Dec 14, 2013
  3. conor1

conor1

Hi Brad ,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond .
    Yes looks like touch overlayer , didn't notice any sign of moisture but will get a better look on site later this week , I see it is an hitachi screen can they be purchased and replaced on site by any chance ?
    Have checked connection and it seems snug enough .
    Don't think clipsal take repairs in uk but might be wrong , as usual client not to happy , I have just changed faulty 2 a dimmer .

Regards
    Conor

conor1, Dec 15, 2013
Ask a Question