Best place to find Cbus equipment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mbreitba, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mbreitba

mbreitba

I'm the proud owner of a Wiser Home Control System with 4 wireless plug modules. I'm being shipped a power supply module tomorrow so I can power the CNI module and the wireless bridge, and I'll be able to start programming things. I'm looking through the different modules, display panels, etc that are available, but I'm not finding a great place to get them in the US.

All of the equipment that I've got is direct from Schneider Electronics (Square-D). Do I need to go to a wholesaler to find these things? Will things rated for 220 work in my house? Can I mix and match brands? I'm pretty new to all of this, and there appears to be opportunity to do lots of neat things, but I'm really hoping to find a great retailer that is _relatively_ inexpensive.

mbreitba, Oct 27, 2010
  2. mbreitba

ashleigh Moderator

I can't comment about where you can buy this gear in the USA.

But you can't mix and match the 110V / 230V stuff with perhaps one exception: line powered (mains powered) devices that are run off a wall-wart / plug-pack-power-supply will EITHER have a universal (approx 100V to 250V) input, or will be sold in different markets with different model power packs. And for some / all of these you can source your own wall wart if you need to.

Wired-in products, or products with pins to suit the local outlets (eg C-Bus dimmers, relays, wireless) are designed for the line (mains) of the country they are sold into. You CAN NOT use a 230V Australia / UK / Asia dimmer or relay in the USA. The ratings are wrong, and the dimmers won't work.

USA line voltage is nominally 110V (220 with phase-phase), and 275V is also common. The line frequency is 60Hz.

Australia / UK / much of Europe / much of Asia is 230V to 240V, line frequency of 50 Hz.

The difference in line frequency means the dimmers are not interchangable. The difference of voltage affects the power rating of dimmers and relays. (Lower voltage, same watts = more current).

So stick with USA product for USA installs.

C-Bus product that is not powered from the line (mains), and is only powered from C-Bus will be the same irrespective of where it is sold - with yet another exception: mounting.

Different countries have different standard wall boxes, mounting methods, screw centers, etc. So what fits in the hole in one country may not fit in another. In GENERAL the Australian standard rectangular format is almost identical to the USA NEMA rectangular format, and you will find that things should fit. Your screws might be out by about 1mm / 1/16" or something small enough that you can get away with it.

However, buyer beware when it comes to imports from another country - it might suit, and it might not.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
    ashleigh, Oct 27, 2010
  3. mbreitba

KevinH

...and US wireless units are different too - operating on a different frequency - and with a more advanced firmware that offers repeater features for example....

KevinH, Oct 28, 2010
  4. mbreitba

industeq

What state in the USA are you located?

I am in Houston Texas and purchase from my Dealers Electric around the corner from my office whom is a Schneider Electric (Square D) Supplier.

I also purchase some components from Australia from E-Bay but beware because the items from oversee are not UL listed.
    The USA versions is up to triple the cost compared to AU / EU but this is because the USA ones are rigorously tested to UL standards.
    I would truly avoid ALL output modules from oversea as the USA version is 120V and more robust / better components because of UL mentioned by the guru at Clipsal.
    Typically the input modules of Clipsal is ok to get from AU / EU as it is powered via the C-Bus only and no external power source required.
    I have a few DLT, Bus Couplers, and a touch screen from AU with no problems.

Regards
    Alan Dobbs
    Industeq, Inc.
    Houston, Texas

industeq, Nov 7, 2010
Ask a Question