Best LED for 8ch dimmer

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by ICS-GS, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ICS-GS

ICS-GS

Hi all, I know it has been covered on numerous occasions, but it seems it has been a while and it has come to a head on one of my jobs...

What are the best performing LEDs for the 8 channel dimmer on the market right now?

Looking at some of the older posts, and the dates of them, and thought that there are probably many more products out there now... so what is everyone using? and are you happy with them?

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Jun 15, 2015
  2. ICS-GS

fleetz

Hi Grant,

Spent a chunk of time and money recently doing research into what your questing.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12018

As a postscript to the research finished up using the Pierlite IP44 and IP65 versions mentioned in my review throughout one of daughter and SIL new build here in SA.

Have them in various combinations from 1 to 6 per load on 3 X 8ch 5508D1A LE dimmer packs and they work extremely well. Have a total of 65 from memory throughout the house. No load correction device require on the minimum load.

All dimmed as expected per the bench testing I did. Kids have been in the house just over a month now and are extremely happy with the choice and results.

There may well be other models from manufacturers that have been released since the testing and review I submitted but they would hard pressed to improve on the Pierlites. They are priced right and simply brilliant.

No affiliation what so ever with the brand, there maybe others that have tested models released in the last 6 months or so since my review that can be thrown into the middle for you to consider.

Regards,

Fleetz

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
    fleetz, Jun 15, 2015
  3. ICS-GS

bmc622000

Last time I recommended LED's i got shat on for it. So first, no I am not affiliated with anyone, I work up in the mines in a power station :mad:

Only installed and tested in my own home using the LE dimmer.

Dimming wise the best that i have used is the Choice COB LED. They pretty much dim down to about 5% with no flickering.

I've also used the Brightgreen DR700 retrofit bulb and they are very good also. Don't dim down as much as the Choice though without flickering. I've replaced the Dr700 with Brightgreen D900 which were pretty much the same in dimming. More like down 15-20% maybe

There are those fairly cheap Samsung chip SMD lights. I've only tested one which was the Domus Deco 13W and that's actually pretty good as well. Comparable to the two Brightgreens in dimming I would say.

bmc622000, Jun 21, 2015
  4. ICS-GS

ICS-GS

Thanks Gents...

Although it appears I did not properly explain my circumstances correctly.

I am ideally looking for a "replacement bulb" type solution, as client has some fancy fittings already installed that they are happy with. FYI all are non-gimble ~70 mm cutouts.

So ideally if they can keep the existing fixtures (and I don't have to replace the fittings) it is a win-win situation.

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Jun 22, 2015
  5. ICS-GS

bmc622000

The Brightgreen DR700's are retrofit bulbs and will fit into standard downlight fittings. But they are a lot taller than the standard halogen bulb. So if height isn't a problem then they work really well. I used Redback drivers with mine.

bmc622000, Jun 23, 2015
Ask a Question