Bell Issue

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Ambro, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Ambro

Ambro

Having just set up the MRA I've noticed that if I trigger (via bellpress) a doorbell action it operates but there is a noticeable 'bleed through' from the source before the wav file is played.

For example the sound for the Tuner1 is off (volume off), the bell trigger is sent then I hear a brief amount of music from Tuner1 before the doorbell is sounded.
    If I select the source to be something where no sound is transmitted then obviously all is good - just plain ol' doorbell sound.

Is this 'bleed through' normal behavior ? It doesn't seem right to have to code some logic to swap to a sound free channel when the volume is turned off ...

Ambro, Nov 25, 2011
  2. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

How is a software fix for this door bell problem going. The workaround is so ugly and my case I dont have a free source

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 2, 2012
  3. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

Issue costing sales of the product.

I have taken over a job that has a c-bus door bell

I have talked to tech support today and they know of the issue and have no idea when it will be resolved.

It has been over 6 months now I have know of the issue. I don't what to go through these issues again with another customer. I am very close to taking the customer out of the C-BUS audio option now.

Please let the MARPA product manager know (who is it by the way, Tech support did not know) that this issue is now costing sales of the product.

Charlie Crackle, Apr 11, 2012
  4. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

Got all excited that the MARPA door bell issue might be fixed with the new release ?

But was disappointed.

Is this issue going to be fixed at some point ?

Support are telling me it will only be fixed if more people report it to be a problem.

Calling any one with a Cbus audio system and use the door bell function. Please ring tech support and log a fault.

Also if you want AM radio to work properly as well please log a fault. 6 months later I am still buying units that do not have the AM Radio modules fixed. I am told still under field trials.

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
    Charlie Crackle, Jun 8, 2012
  5. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

Is this problem still in the list to be fixed ??

Charlie Crackle, Apr 15, 2013
  6. Ambro

Ambro

Yes +1 = it has been a long time for what I can tell is a programming glitch, I can post my code if people haven't figured the 'turn to vacant channel when off' workaround?

Ambro, Apr 21, 2013
  7. Ambro

Roosta

I say post it up!!

Roosta, Apr 21, 2013
  8. Ambro

Ambro

Okay, better late than never .....

Code:
    // Sets the Source to 'Local' after the volume is turned off to prevent bleed through with a Bell Ring ##CLIPSAL Bug##

once (GetCBusLevel("Local", "MRA", "Powder Room Volume") = 0%) then
    begin
      SetCBusLevel("Local", "MRA", "Powder Room Absolute Source", "Local Input", "0s");
    end;

This sets to the local source when the volume is turned off. It has its draw backs but at least you don't get the bleed through.

All I can say is come on Clipsal and fix this, it really detracts from what is a pretty good product - why does it take Clipsal years to address this?

Ambro, Aug 17, 2013
  9. Ambro

Damaxx

I ended up doing the same thing Ambro as I could not find another way.

Back in June 2010 I asked about it on this thread and then requested help from tech support but they told me they could not recreate the problem.

I ended up killing a speaker a while back as I listen to heavy metal music and when the door bell was pressed, the bleed-through drove the speakers so hard that it damaged the speaker cone. Spousal tick of approval = -1

The code works well as a work around but it's an obvious PITA to have to reset the source each time you want to play tunes again.

Damaxx, Oct 8, 2013
  10. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

Is this problem ever going to get fixed ??

Have a retrofit project and Cbus audio would be easy fix for the problems.

the door bell is currently button with a cbus coupler. so again would be such an easy job if the door bell in the cbus audio actually worked.

Don't want to suggest if I am going to have to write lines and lines of code to work around.

I know you guys are busy but could some priority be put on making existing products work as per the specifications.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Nov 8, 2013
  11. Ambro

DonB

Hello Charlie, Ambro & Dimaxx,
    I can confirm that this is finally being investigated and we plan to fix the reported issue, unfortunately I can not provide a time frame at this point. :)

DonB, Nov 12, 2013
  12. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

Thank you at least it is being looked at.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Nov 12, 2013
  13. Ambro

Damaxx

Appreciate you letting us know DonB.

Damaxx, Nov 12, 2013
  14. Ambro

DarylC

Still On Going Problem

Hi DonB,
    Is this issue ever going to be resolved. You posted back in 2011 that the problem with the door bell function was being addressed but still we have no resolution to the problem. Can you please provide an update to all as to when this will finally be rectified as it must be costing you guys sales. I know I have certainly pulled back on installing the product because of this fault and others I have spoken to are also in the same boat.

DarylC, Feb 21, 2014
  15. Ambro

Roosta

If the doorbell feature problem in cbus mra has halted you from promoting or selling the system, then you are a terrible sales person..

I simply stopped mentioning the feature and have not seen a reduction in people taking up the mra..

There are so many unused features that cbus is capable of that you can comfortably promote and still show people percieved value in automation..

I do agree however if mention was made of a fix coming several years ago then to still be waiting is pretty poor..

Roosta, Feb 21, 2014
  16. Ambro

Ambro

Sorry Roosta but I must disagree - a doorbell is a pretty simple thing to 'complete' the way a client views the MRA solution.

Client says, "yep, an automated house where I have music blasting but can't hear if anyone is at the door" or "I have a big house and I need to hear the doorbell throughout, surely this must broadcast a doorbell".

If as a Cbus promoting builder I say "no" that would makes eyes roll and a lost MRA sale - I choose to say the truth that a doorbell works with limitations to the overall system & Clipsal has taken over three years to look at the door bell issue; that makes the clients think twice about Cbus as a whole.

Truth hurts sometimes and yes, I'm a builder, not a salesperson.

Ambro, Feb 26, 2014
  17. Ambro

Roosta

Ok so may i ask then what other distributed audio system out on the australian market place offers wall plate control, mobile device control and a doorbell feature?

Roosta, Feb 26, 2014
  18. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

Any update on the fix for this issue. Is some one looking at it ?
    Does Schneider give CIS the resources it needs ?

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 3, 2014
  19. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

2011 to 2014 to get simple door bell issue fixed. I think the only way to get this fixed is for everyone to return them wanting their money back under Australian consumer law as the unit is defective.

Charlie Crackle, Jul 8, 2014
  20. Ambro

Charlie Crackle

DON

It has been 10 Months now. Has a single hour of work been done on this yet ??

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Sep 6, 2014
Ask a Question