Becoming a Cubs installer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave1996, May 30, 2021.

1. Dave1996

Dave1996

Hey guys, currently undertaking a cert 3 in telecommunications how ever eventually want to get into home automation and audio visual etc
    Do you need to be a licensed electrician
    Or can you become one with the experience of my certificate

Dave1996, May 30, 2021
  2. Dave1996

Trevor

Hi Dave,
    Yes you need to be an A grade electrician, your cert 3 may give you some credit towards it.

Some industry info i found for you...

A-Grade vs. ES-Grade Licensed Electricians
    ES-Grade licences are only available to people who have been 'grandfathered' through previous regulations and licensing regimes. This typically includes holders of B-Grade or RB-Grade licences.

Electricians of this grade are permitted to carry out electrical work. However, they must be supervised by an A-Grade Electrician. Additionally, they cannot sign-off on their own work.

This same rule applies for those with a Supervised Worker's Licence (L Licence).

While ES-Grade and L-Grade Electricians can carry out your electrical work, an A-Grade Electrician must be in attendance. So, it's often simpler to instead just hire A-Grade Licensed Electricians.

Licences which require A-Grade supervision:

• ES-Grade
    • Formerly B-Grade
    • Formerly RB-Grade
    • L-Grade
    • Apprentice electricians
    Obtaining an A-Grade Licence
    Becoming an A-Grade Electrician can take anywhere between 4 and 5 years.

To gain an A-Grade Licence, an electrician will typically:

1. Complete a 4 Year Apprenticeship
    To become qualified A-Grade Licensed Electricians, workers must complete a 4 year apprenticeship, which includes at least 12 months experience carrying out electrical installation work.

2. Pass a Licensed Electricians Assessment (LEA)
    A Licensed Electricians Assessment is an examination conducted by an independent organisation which has been approved by Energy Safe Victoria (ESV).

3. Hold a Certificate III in Electro-technology, Electrician
    This certificate is awarded upon the completion of a relevant course in the installation and maintenance of electrical equipment in Victoria.

An A-Grade licence can, in some circumstances, be obtained via other pathways. However, what is outlined above is the most common way to achieve this qualification.

regards
    Trevor

Trevor, Jun 1, 2021
  3. Dave1996

Dave1996

Thanks for the help
    I thought as iv seen cbus use cat 5 which is what I work with a lot and was curious if that would help in being able to run cable and programme with cbus

Dave1996, Jun 3, 2021
  4. Dave1996

Shiney2512

You can program it, but you cannot not work on any of the 240v gear - relays/ dimmers etc. (electrical licence required)

Shiney2512, Jun 3, 2021
  5. Dave1996

Trevor

Go to the Clipsal website and you will fined software called PICED use it to program an entire network. You can do this using the GUI and the inbuilt Pascal logic. Get Toolkit to configure, setup and control of all the hardware.

Trevor, Jun 3, 2021
  6. Dave1996

Dave1996

Yeah that’s what I thought and run the cat 5 cable obviously can touch 240 volt but the rest I could do

cheers for the help

Dave1996, Jun 4, 2021
  7. Dave1996

Dave1996

Awesome I’ll give it a look and have a suss
    Cheers

Dave1996, Jun 4, 2021
Ask a Question