Battery operated switch question.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by pbelectrical, Sep 21, 2011.

1. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Hi, I have an existing installation into which I would like to add one of the battery operated wireless switches. The existing installation is mostly hard wired with only a small wireless network consisting of a wireless gateway, a plug adaptor relay and a remote control. I bought a 2 button battery operated wireless switch to install in an ensuite to control the exhaust fan. When I went to install it I discovered that it seems that it will only communicate with an existing wireless switch and only be able to duplicate the functions that exist on an existing wireless switch. I have a spare GPO in the top of a wardrobe near the ensuite, if I was to purchase another wireless plug adaptor and program its virtual buttons to control the fans would the battery operated switch then be able to be paired to these buttons to enable it to also control the fans?

pbelectrical, Sep 21, 2011
  2. pbelectrical

Newman

Correct (mostly, see below). The Free Locate switches operate in the same way that the Hand Held Remote behaves.
    Yep, most certainly.

Another option is to purchase another Wireless Gateway. Wireless Gateways with wireless-side firmware 2.3.0 or newer can be put into two different modes: regular Network Gateway mode or Remote Switch mode.

In Remote Switch mode the Wireless Gateway allows up to 8 Remotes, either Hand Held Remotes or battery-powered Free Locate Switches, to be linked directly to it, and therefore control wired C-Bus without needing another mains-powered product (wall switch or plug adapter). A Wireless Gateway in Remote Switch mode will show up as another network in your Toolkit tree view, but cannot be scanned as such.

Newman, Sep 21, 2011
Ask a Question