Backing up from 5000CT and then reinstalling on another unit

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Green Light, May 6, 2012.

1. Green Light

Green Light

Hi guys,
    I have been approached by an electrician to replace a 5000CT touch screen.
    I know that there are many stories of difficulties with interfacing with these units.
    I have been able to source a working unit from another electrician that i do work for.
    I have an old ibm x40 that has RS232 on the docking station. I was considering resurrecting for the job.
    I have tried to read up as much as possible and was wondering if anybody has made up a rs232 cable to do this job.
    My thinking is that I should be able to do this with just the transmit, receive and ground I just crimp a Rj45 socket on the other side and I should be able to communicate with this unit.
    Has anybody tried this?
    I appreciate all advice.

Green Light, May 6, 2012
  2. Green Light

ihendrick

I've been trying to do a similar thing in the thread just previous to his one, without success. If your laptop is anything like the one I dug up, the 232 port on the docking station is actually still an embedded USB adapter, so using it didn't help in my case. Your results may vary!

Re the cable manufacture, Clipsal has this helpful PDF buried in their website:

http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/cis/__d...lack_White_MkI_Touch_Screen_Adapter_Cable.pdf

Ian

ihendrick, May 7, 2012
  3. Green Light

Newman

I would add that it's essential that you connect all 8 wires. If you try to just connect send, receive and ground then it won't work.

Newman, May 7, 2012
  4. Green Light

bmerrick

Hi Guys,

I would suggest that you use the RS-232 cable supplied with the unit, (or your new replacement unit). I use a USB to Serial Converter on my HP notebook that comes up in Windows device manager as 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Com Port (COM9)'. I have two converter leads that are completely different looking (one is see through clear plastic and the other charcoal / Dark Grey) but both come up the same in Windows device manager and both work identically so are perhaps different OEMs of the same cable. It plugs in to the other cable directly without any gender benders etc. Works for me every time to the MK1s.

Look, I don't want to get all mercenary on you, but I have 7 of these B&W Mk1s in my house and so my notebook is well setup with PICED versions and projects etc to talk to this particular model. If you are getting nowhere in a reasonable period yourself, I will happily offer my outsource and can come onsite as 'your company' and can replace/swap out the dead unit for your replacement unit. Sorry but I would obviously need to charge you to do this as it could take several hours if there are any firmware related problems etc. Best Effort basis getting original program off of course. PM me if you get stuck, it gets urgent or you have better things to do.

Anyway, try to find the USB converter above and an original cable and you will be best off.

All the best,

Brad

bmerrick, May 12, 2012
Ask a Question