B&W Ctouch program causes errors on network

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Htnut, May 4, 2009.

1. Htnut

Htnut

After reading about the diagnostic traffic monitor on this forum, I decided to check my own network. I discovered that I was getting traffic and error spikes every 10 seconds. I found that when I disconnected my two touch screens the problem went away.

Support could not explain this so I decided to try to pin this down. I found that if I created and loaded a new project I would not get errors. After much hacking I found that removing the entry under the <monitor data> section in the .ctg file the problem has gone away and I now have a perfectly error free network!

Can anyone please explain how this entry was created and why it causes the error?

BTW. It may be too soon to be overconfident but on limited testing it seems to have fixed some weird intermittent issues on my wireless network too!

Htnut, May 4, 2009
  2. Htnut

Newman

The most likely cause of the errors is because you are using a Monitor component in your project somewhere to retrieve information from a unit that isn't at the unit address the C-Touch expects.

For example, you may have a monitor component set up to retrieve the temperature from a Temperature Sensor at unit address 42 but in reality it's at unit address 43. The C-Touch sends commands directly to the temperature sensor at unit address 42, but gets no acknowledge from the temperature sensor because it is at unit address 43, and therefore these messages are treated as communication failures.

Newman, May 5, 2009
  3. Htnut

ashleigh Moderator

And the diagnostic utility can't be used for wireless networks - don't try and use it for that, any results will be misleading (at best).

ashleigh, May 5, 2009
  4. Htnut

Htnut

Thanks Newman

I did have a monitor in the program but I dont know why or when I set it up!

Htnut, May 5, 2009
Ask a Question