B&W C-touch - how to indicate that a scene is active ?

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by JohnC, Mar 16, 2006.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Hi all

I am making a new interface for an incredibly complex commercial project. Everything is stored in a B&W Ctouch, and almost everything is scene and schedule based. I need to indicate (on the Ctouch) that a scene has been set.

What I want is a Text Indication saying "ON" or "OFF" in response to whether a scene is active or not. If the scene is broken by something, it'd be great if the status changed, but that is NOT particularly important in this situation.

I've never had a problem with indicators on Key Inputs - they seem to handle scenes fairly well and automatically. But I am not experienced with the Touchscreens...

I tried using Key Function "Scene" and also tried "Status". I've tried setting the key's Visual Properties to show "Status Indication". I've tried Status tab > C-Bus Indicator Active Range... but while offline (Simulation mode) I can't get a Ctouch key to show an indicator when a scene is active.

The PICED Help file says to use C-Bus Indicator Active Range for scenes

HOWEVER - Is this simply because I am working offline, and the various Groups are not feeding back info about scene status (ie: scene set, or not, or broken)?

Is it incorrect that PICED shows me all these (other) options for Indicators on scenes, yet it's not possible?

I haven't got a C-touch here to play with, nor the Network that I'm working on - I'm trying to program it all offline and then dump the whole thing to the devices on site.

Anyway - could someone explain to me how to make Scene Indicators work? And also, how to I "test them" offline ?

Thanks, John

PS: For the PICED 3.4.0 - "to-fix" log (if there is one)

Create a Key that controls a Scene. Then select Status tab > C-Bus Indicator Active Range and the Scene radio is pre-selected (good). But below there is "active" Min/Max levels, but if you click another Radio then click back to Scene then Min/Max become greyed out (as they should be).
    - Min/Max should not be active when the tab first loads for a Scene key.
    - The "Custom" radio should be immediately above the Min/Max drop boxes, not the "Scene" radio - because Min/Max only applies to Custom

JohnC, Mar 16, 2006
  2. JohnC

Darren Senior Member

1. Add a C-Bus button to a page
    2. Double click on it to open the Component Properties form
    3. Select Key Function "scene"
    4. Select the Scene in the Scene Groups list
    5. Select the "status" tab
    6. Select Scene Indicator

The button will now show the status of the scene. To get it to display "On" and "Off" either :

7. Select the "visual properties" tab
    8. Select "images" tab
    9. Select the button with "ON" on it

OR

7. Select the "visual properties" tab
    8. Select the "text" tab
    9. Select "text & font status indication"
    10. In the active text, enter "My Scene On"
    11. In the Inactive text, enter "My Scene Off"

Yes, there is a "to-fix" log. In fact this suggestion is item #8166 on the list and has just been fixed.

Darren, Mar 16, 2006
  3. JohnC

JohnC

Thanks Duncan, It works perfectly.

But it's very strange ! I did exactly that same thing yesterday and it wouldn't work. I promise that I definitely tried everything... dunno why I do the same thing today and it works, but the computer has been rebooted since then.

Forgive me wasting your time :eek: - but consider that I also wasted my own time typing out that long post :(

Thanks, John

JohnC, Mar 17, 2006
  4. JohnC

Duncan

Love to take the credit.. but it was Darren that time... remember what I told you ? :)

Duncan, Mar 17, 2006
  5. JohnC

JohnC

DOH
    I am really not having a good week, oh good looking one !

It must be the stress of trying to complete all my jobs before moving to my new Clipsal position.

JC (slinking off now, to hide in a hole)

JohnC, Mar 17, 2006
  6. JohnC

Darren Senior Member

It wasn't a waste of my time at all. It prompted me to add a new topic to the FAQ and there is now an answer on the forum for how to do this for the next person who needs it.

Darren, Mar 19, 2006
Ask a Question