B&W C-Touch Firmware update failure

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Glenn OCallaghan, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Glenn OCallaghan

Glenn OCallaghan

Hi All,

I've just had an update of the firmware on a B&W C-Touch screen fail halfway through, due to a communication error (Serial communications on my Vista machine are anything but stable). When connected, the unit now simply emits the ticking it would normally do during updates. I think I'm in trouble. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
    Glenn.

Glenn OCallaghan, Jun 15, 2009
  2. Glenn OCallaghan

Clinton's Electrical

I Had The Same Error Once, I Powered Down For 20 Minutes And Tried Again Using The Windoze XP Laptop And All Went Well. Also I Had A Similar Error With A Faulty Serial To RJ45 Lead ??:eek:

Clinton's Electrical, Jun 15, 2009
  3. Glenn OCallaghan

Darren Senior Member

The ticking means that the firmware is corrupted. Refer to the PICED FAQ help file topic "C-Touch Ticking".

You will need to update the C-Touch firmware. Refer to the PICED main help file topic "Transferring a C-Touch Project to the Unit" or "Reloading C-Touch Mark 2 Firmware" depending on your unit type.

Darren, Jun 16, 2009
  4. Glenn OCallaghan

Glenn OCallaghan

Off and running

Thanks Darren, for the push in the right direction. Having the confidence the screen was in a recoverable state calmed my nerves and allowed me to thing of a few more options.

Fortunately, I have a second B&W Screen (both appear to be MkI's by the way), in a "known good" condition. My Vista box could not make a connection to it either, so getting this to work was the first step.

And my solution to regain the ability to connect was to completely uninstall the "USB Serial Port" device (including drivers), perform a "scan for hardware changes", and let Vista reinstall the device.

After doing this, I've now connected successfully about twenty times (the repeat count is mainly due to me expecting it to break! :)). Updating the "ticking" screen was then straight forward.

Thanks,
    Glenn.

Glenn OCallaghan, Jun 16, 2009
Ask a Question