Aux Input/Alarm

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by towbar, Feb 25, 2010.

1. towbar

towbar

I need to monitor 24 zones mostly windows and a few doors for 2 purposes; alarm and heating.

If window open want to setback heating in that zone (don't use cbus stats but have heating and cbus linked)

I could use 8 aux units but it would be expensive -are there alarm units that give direct access to the input states of that many zones ideally in the PAC.

For alarm I already have multiple CBUS PIRs and would like to reuse for the alarm - are they ok for this purpose?

towbar, Feb 25, 2010
  2. towbar

Newman

The C-Bus Security application supports up to 80 zones, so if you can find a 24 zone panel that is C-Bus Enabled, then there should be no reason why the zone state can't be put on to C-Bus (subject to security panel implementation of the C-Bus interface). Something like the Inner Range Concept 3000 or a Comfort Security System would be worth a look.

I would not do this. Whilst both are motion sensors in the broad sense, the operating requirements are somewhat different.

C-Bus PIR sensors are designed to be fairly sensitive, as the most common request we receive is for more range. If there is an occasional false trip, your lights turn on for a few minutes, and no-one gets hurt. C-Bus indoor PIR's also have no specific tamper protection features.

With a security motion sensor, they are designed to be VERY resistant to false trips. The majority are also quite directional. If you do get a false trip, the alarm goes off, the security panel "phone's home", men in black uniforms come flying in through the windows, slam you against the wall and say things like "this won't hurt one bit..."

The other point to bring up is your insurance. If your house is broken in to and your insurance company can prove that you weren't using security sensors then your chances of a successful claim would not look good.

Newman, Feb 25, 2010
  3. towbar

towbar

Newman,
    Thanks for that will check out that alarm.

On PIRs that explains it as I always had issues with sensitivity so much so that my external PIRs have logic in the PAC that ensures they don't activate for at least 1.5 seconds of activity as I tried desensitising with every other setting and it didnt work and outside lights on at 3 in the morning is too distracting.

For the discounts offered here in Ireland for having an alarm I think I will continue to insure on the basis of no alarm present anyway but its a good point on anti-tamper.

towbar, Feb 25, 2010
Ask a Question