Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Third-Party Solutions' started by rhamer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. rhamer

rhamer

Whilst not a C-Bus question as such (yet) ;) I am interested to know how many people here have either ordered an Apple Watch, or are considering buying one?

Also what are people's opinions on operating automation type systems from a watch type device, be it Apple or any other?

And finally do you think your average McMansion owner will take up the Apple Watch in the same way they did with the iPhone?

Of course these are not leading questions and don't necessarily indicate anything that may or may not be under development :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'm very happy to hear different options, but I don't want an Android vs iOS argument to erupt.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 29, 2015
  2. rhamer

znelbok

For me, I wont be buying a watch.

The idea of using a watch or other personal device attached to the body for automation is something I am very interested in. While a phone is a personal device (you don't really share your phone any more), its not something that is carried around the house with you (not me anyway), whereas a watch, or something similar is attached to your arm and is truly hands free and personal and does not get in the way (like a bulky phone in your pocket). This will lead to being able to detect YOUR presence in a room, and for you to react accordingly through the interface.

Looking into my crystal ball, I think there will be some sort of personal device attached to just about everybody in the future, I don't think it will be a watch - they will exist for those that like to wear a watch, but for those non watch wearing people, it will be something else. The wrist is an obvious place because thats where we have always placed something that we interact with (the watch), but someone is close to revolutionizing the industry and it will be a game changer that gets everyone using it.

Apple will probably command a similar market share of the watch market as they do for the smart phone market. Android will have a larger share like they do now - just shared between many manufacturers. The market will be smaller though, not as many watches will exist as smart phones do - especially when you need a phone to accompany the watch.

znelbok, Apr 30, 2015
  3. rhamer

Charlie Crackle

Got my watch on order....

I see that the watch will be great for common things...

initially just simple commands on screen

Open Garage door
    Open Front door
    Trigger Leaving Scene
    Trigger Home Scene

but then later via voice

Hey siri lounge light on.
    Hey siri open garage door

Needs to be a very simple interface on the watch

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 30, 2015
  4. rhamer

rhamer

Wow, over 2 million Apple Watches pre ordered, without even seeing one in real life.

Who is buying them?

So far its only me and Charlie on this forum which I would estimate contains quite a few other geeks like us?

I'm interested to know from Mick what is your ideal personal automation device, and why does the apple watch (or any other) not fit your requirements yet?

My own thoughts are that personal electronics are going to happen eventually and of course this will include an automation component. The use of a "Watch" as the entry level device is only because we are familiar with wearing one now, and it is less of a jump to accept it.

To put this into context, a smart phone is called a phone, but in reality that is just a very small part of what it does. It really is a portable computer that also makes calls. However to convince people to buy the new personal computer that fits in your pocket is too big a jump, so it is called a phone because that makes sense to more people.

The smart watch is exactly the same. Its not really a watch of course, but a smaller personal computing device that happens to also tell the time. It's just easier to get people to replace one personal device with another, rather than try and get them to accept a whole new concept. I imagine the change from a pocket watch to a wrist watch 100 years ago was a similar concept.

So what is the feeling about a wrist mounted personal automation device to allow interaction with the physical world (i.e. turn on your lights etc.)? Is it a step too far for most people, even those that already understand and accept automation such as C-Bus?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, May 1, 2015
  5. rhamer

znelbok

I'm not a watch wearing person. Used to be, but not now. The band irritates my wrist when typing, the watch gets caught on everything as I walk past.

My ideal personal device - not sure yet, will know when I see it. The watch is probably close and I agree with everything you said, its just not for me.

I may change my mind, but I want it to work independently to the phone, but allowing integration with the phone for greater functionality.

As for siri commands etc. I would rather an amazon echo type device that is running kortana or similar. Think of a wifi connected Kinect in a couple of rooms to allow whole house voice control. The Kinect can also do face detection now, so it should be able to track you through the house without the need for personal hardware being on your body.

znelbok, May 1, 2015
  6. rhamer

DarylMc

I wonder if the watch is capable of any tasks while it is not connected to an iPhone?
    For example I don't think it can do Siri on its own.

DarylMc, May 1, 2015
  7. rhamer

rhamer

About the only thing it can do without it's partner iPhone, is tell the time...... or so I thought.....

Turns out you can do quite a bit. http://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd0443fb403

All the apps leverage off the power of the iPhone.

Right now you can't write an app that only runs on the watch, it has to be an extension to an existing iPhone app. Think of it a s smaller satellite screen connected to the same app.
    The word on the street is this will change eventually, but Apple are very concerned about rogue apps that might use too much power/CPU and flatten the battery quickly, giving the watch a bad name.

Cheers

Rohan

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
    rhamer, May 1, 2015
  8. rhamer

DarylMc

Hi Rohan
    That is a bit more than I expected.
    Please keep us all updated.

DarylMc, May 1, 2015
  9. rhamer

znelbok

Also worth noting, is that (so I believe) the phone and watch dont need to be close together (i.e. bluetooth range) and that they will work as long as they are on the same WiFi network. This means you can put your phone down when you get home and the watch apps will still function anywhere you are within range of your WiFi network.

Also, the latest round of Google based watches are going to extend that to allow remote network connection, which means if you leave your phone at home, you can still use your watch via its connection to the phone through the internet (i.e. routed network connection). No doubt apple will go that way soon enough as well, unless they have security concerns and make a conscious decision not too.

Battery life is always going to be the killer, if that issue can be solved then they will be a worthy device. There is a company that has made a solar charger that uses a "solar panel" under the screen of the phone - adapt this to the watch so that they are solar powered as well for more battery life - a stop gap measure but may help when you are low on juice. Unlike a phone that sites in your pocket and does not see the sun, a watch is more likely to be in the light being that it is on your wrist and exposed.

znelbok, May 4, 2015
  10. rhamer

Twistz

Have received my watch controlling lights from my watch how cool would that be also hoping for control of my music via sonos

Twistz, May 18, 2015
Ask a Question