Apple TV to amp local input

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by 71monaro, Jun 12, 2015.

1. 71monaro

71monaro

I am wanting to connect an apply TV as a local audio source and want to confirm it will work with the optical input. Has anyone tried this method?

71monaro, Jun 12, 2015
  2. 71monaro

71monaro

No one has any experience with this? I may have to get a Airport Express and not run optical audio. Even though Apple TV is the same price as the airport express and has 'extra AV options' I am not about to experiment.

71monaro, Jun 15, 2015
  3. 71monaro

NickD Moderator

I use the AppleTV on the optical input on the Matrix Switcher, and I'm pretty sure it's the same input as on the amp, so whilst I haven't tried it myself I don't see why it should be any different.

Nick

NickD, Jun 20, 2015
  4. 71monaro

rikaussie

If you are intending to use this for audio only, I'd go with the AirportExpress. As it will be easier to manage compared to the AppleTV which really needs to plugged into a screen.

rikaussie, Jun 21, 2015
  5. 71monaro

71monaro

Thank you, I will probably get a airport express off ebay if the apple tv offers less operability for audio, than the apple tv. And wait until the new ATV is released before new purchase, hopefully with some homekit/siri integration.

71monaro, Jun 21, 2015
Ask a Question