Anybody have a spare CTouch power supply...

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by bprc, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bprc

bprc

Howdy all,

Just curious if anyone has a spare 5000CTCPS (original one - not the /2) they no longer need and willing to sell for a reasonable price.

Only need the power supply (not the extension)

Cheers,
    Ben

bprc, Oct 9, 2010
  2. bprc

Lucky555

I have one left over from a job.
    It appears to be new in the box, however as it has been sitting around for a few years I will need to check it works properly.
    Will have the chance to check it in the next day or so..

Lucky555, Oct 14, 2010
  3. bprc

bprc

Thanks Lucky for the offer but I ordered one from L&H. I missed your reply hence the late update.

I was (and wasn't) surprised to see a drastic overhaul in the design of the new power supplies. Easy to see now why the old one almost burnt down our house.

First a dimmer burns out and then this power supply... loosing faith.

/end rant

bprc, Oct 20, 2010
  4. bprc

Newman

Hate to say it but the most common occurrences of smoke/burning on dimmers are a result of wiring off-cuts or other debris falling inside the unit. Some types of wiring or load faults can damage a channel, but this does not usually result in any kind of fire.

Newman, Oct 20, 2010
  5. bprc

bprc

I can see how that would cause an issue but our dimmers and relays are in enclosures so the chances something significant getting inside causing a short seems unlikely. For it to be working fine for 2 years and then suddenly die in the manner it did seems odd to me.

I was also told that having any loose terminations might cause problems. This was also checked along with the loads. All fine.

Not only did it self terminate but it also melted the dimmer above it. Not a cheap exercise. All I think about now is what's next...

bprc, Oct 22, 2010
  6. bprc

Newman

The risk is low but it is not zero. Any time you have an enclosure with any kind of hole you have the opportunity for foreign bodies to enter. Dirt, dust, insects, off-cuts, etc can all accumulate. Given that the dimmers generate heat they have lots of ventilation holes. Every example of a dimmer fire I have seen has been traced back to a foreign body inside the unit somewhere.

Newman, Oct 22, 2010
  7. bprc

tobex

I used to get laughed at when I would sit in a control room for days and crimp ferrules on the ends of wires and then terminate on the ferrule. The electricians who "knew better" used to think it was a waste of time and money but I never had one person ever come to my site and say a termination was loose.

But I still keep hearing about problems from the "smarter people" who do not have such a delicate hand with cat5 and 1.5mm termination. You can only do so much with a pair of pliers and plastic tape.

I have to admit that not many clients are willing to pay for that amount of labour even though it lasts much longer.

tobex, Oct 22, 2010
  8. bprc

bprc

Just how many dimmer fires have you seen?

Seeing as this 'low risk' can potentially create a very large risk then I guess they have redesigned these modules? Or is it up to the customer to vacuum their enclosures?

bprc, Oct 22, 2010
  9. bprc

tobex

I never install the load wire directly to the module. I interconnect with either a circuit fuse or a wire management system.

90% of your concerns arise from the style of workmanship and not the hardware itself. I say this because of my past experience with other "installers" who seemed to have problems on every job they did and thankfully stopped taking C-Bus jobs in general and saved us all some headaches.

I have seen more than few C-Bus modules smoking only because they were loaded at 15amp and not 10amp. Overloading is one of the cardinal signs of poor workmanship.Some of the older modules were not able to shut-down like the newer ones and kept on going till they fell over.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010
    tobex, Oct 22, 2010
  10. bprc

bprc

Thanks for your input but my installers workmanship is better than 90% of others - so I guess I can assume it's better than yours right? In actual fact 99% of my concerns stem from a fear of having to spend a crap load more money to fix something that worked yesterday.

With my limited knowledge I'm not sure how a circuit fuse would help stop a short on the dimmer. Surely if it's from loose debri the load doesn't come into play in this instance?

bprc, Oct 22, 2010
  11. bprc

bprc

Like I mentioned earlier the load was also tested and was well under the requirement - which I thought was 1amp per chanel not 10.

bprc, Oct 22, 2010
  12. bprc

tobex

Some of the older modules and some of the newer pro series can go much higher.

I use a number of GU-10 240V halogens and sidestep the whole 12V issue. I am working on the assumption that you have 12V downlights. I would be checking to see if you have iron-core transformers.

tobex, Oct 22, 2010
Ask a Question