Any replacement screen yet?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by crispyoz, Nov 20, 2017.

1. crispyoz

crispyoz

I haven't seen any announcement of a CTC replacement, did I miss something or has nothing yet been announced?

crispyoz, Nov 20, 2017
  2. crispyoz

tsman

The NAC/SHAC + your own tablet/touchscreen is the upgrade path. The CTC was discontinued entirely and there isn't a direct replacement.

tsman, Nov 24, 2017
  3. crispyoz

Ashley

It's not really an upgrade path from a touch screen. Rather the only current (and rather limited) alternative. If anything the SHAC is a replacement for the Wiser 1 and 2.

Ashley, Nov 24, 2017
    jboer likes this.
  4. crispyoz

jboer

Totally agree, we are trying to go down the path now of finding tablets that clients are happy with on their walls, then somewhere to hide the SHAC, 2 x PSUs, ethernet cable rather than C-Bus installed ect ect, it is so painful, if everyone else can do a touchscreen why cant Schneider?

jboer, Nov 25, 2017
  5. crispyoz

Ashley

Problem is no mater what you come up with it's still going to be a general purpose tablet that the customer (and Google/Apple/Microsoft) can screw up. The whole point of a touch screen is that it always just works.

Ashley, Nov 25, 2017
  6. crispyoz

crispyoz

The mounting brackets for tablets are just plain ugly and I don't understand why Schneider doesn't come up with an offering that pairs a decent android tablet with a matching mount that looks something like a CTC.

There are so many alternative solutions to cbus now, I wonder if Schneider are just basically keeping cbus on basic life support waiting for it to die.

crispyoz, Jan 21, 2018
  7. crispyoz

DarylMc

@crispyoz
    Stop putting ideas in their head :)
    I know Colour Touch can be setup and live in the wall for years and years.
    Nowdays everyone has a smart phone virtually glued to their hand and for a growing number of people a tablet device.
    Add some voice control to that and I wonder if there is any future for wall mounted devices at all.

DarylMc, Jan 21, 2018
  8. crispyoz

jboer

This may well be the case for the domestic market but as soon as you step outside of a home that is when you really do need something static that is easily accessible and understandable. Also I don't actually think it is a good idea at all to only have app and voice activated houses, not at least for a number of more years till we can get the AIs to listen to different syntax's and it becomes natural and standard for everyone.

For example we had some friends house sit for us and we have a B&W TS and a eDLT, the amount of calls I got because what seems obvious to us now, really isn't to someone not used to a 'smart' system. "What do you mean 'pages' on your light switch?" I would hate to think that if someone came to my house I had to try and get them to get the right app (or make an IP a link on their phone), login details ect ect just so they could turn the lights off at night.

If you then go commercial, where you might have hundreds of people needing to use the system...

Having a screen on the wall is much better for that, you can lay it out so that everything is labelled and obvious and everyone knows where to go.

I honestly think Schneider doesn't really care what happens to C-Bus if all they can give is a web enabled box, I have been a firm supporter of C-Bus and still am on a Technical level but when you have to start hacking together random bits and pieces to make a basic system work it makes it messy and not viable to sell.

jboer, Jan 22, 2018
  9. crispyoz

DarylMc

Yeah adding voice or phones to a commercial site would be a problem and a solid touch screen product would be useful.
    Something like the ones Clipsal already had.
    That said something accessible with a browser like SHAC is not too much of a leap.

I think CBus greatest failure is how some people have implemented it.
    It really does need to be as simple as possible for the basic stuff.
    I went to a rental house recently and there were scenes loaded into an 8 gang switch at the front door.
    It had night mode set and needed a key press to wake.
    The tenants had no idea how to use it and really was quite a disaster for the CBus brand.

The hardware and open nature of the software is excellent and even if Schneider decides to kill it some time in the future I'd still consider CBus for a new home.

DarylMc, Jan 22, 2018
  10. crispyoz

Matthew

Bump....
    Anyone have any news?

Matthew, Jan 29, 2018
  11. crispyoz

Woody

Has anyone considered using raspberry pi with remote screen, PCI. & Homegate dongle.

Woody, May 7, 2018
  12. crispyoz

NickD Moderator

Since the thread has had a bump...the replacement offer is the 5000ETP10W.

NickD, May 7, 2018
  13. crispyoz

Matthew

Looking for info on the "5000ETP10W"
    the Clipsal website returns "An unexpected error has occurred"
    anything else Nick?

Matthew, May 21, 2018
  14. crispyoz

NickD Moderator

(facepalm)

I've brought this to the attention of the offer manager.

You might have more luck with google for now..

Nick

NickD, May 21, 2018
  15. crispyoz

Matthew

thanks Nick

Matthew, May 22, 2018
Ask a Question