Any alternative to using a 5500PC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fleetz, Nov 21, 2005.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Just getting into some home automation and am thinking of using C-Bus for the lighting as the HA controller supports C-Bus.

Doing some research it appears that it is mandatory to have a 5500PC to set the unit address for each unit on the C-Bus. It appears seems an expensive option just to be able to set addresses. Been quoted $342 for the 5500PC and $375 for the 5500PS is there any other alternatives?

I require the address to be set on a test set up I am putting to gether to verify the HA controller and Cbus bit all communicate together before they are integrated into the HA system.

Just seems a price level of entry just to be able to integrate their system. Are there any other mandatory tools that are required before you can start using C-Bus on a system?

Appreciate any suggestions and dcomments.

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Nov 21, 2005
  2. fleetz

dbuckley

Not directly answering you question, but which HA system are you planning to use as most HA that integrates with CBus does so through a 5500, and thus you'd need one anyway...?

(And theres no other stuff you need besides the software, which is free, and a PC with an RS232 serial port or a supported USB/serial adapter, though if you've not been on it you may find going on the integrators course useful)

dbuckley, Nov 21, 2005
  3. fleetz

Newman

A Quick way to get the network working and getting the unit addresses assigned is to use Learn Mode. If you put the network into Learn Mode then both LEDs on Output Units will probably flash on and off together. During this time the dimmer is sorting out unit address, network burden and clock issues. Once it drops into the alternate flashing LED sequence then the network is communicating and is in Learn Mode. Simply exit learn mode and the network should then be communicating and unit addresses for Learn capable units will be assigned.

Newman, Nov 21, 2005
  4. fleetz

fleetz

The ELK MIG controller

fleetz, Nov 21, 2005
  5. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Newman that makes sense.

Is there any really good referenec site that get into the nuts and bolts of C-Bus?

fleetz, Nov 21, 2005
  6. fleetz

dbuckley

The nearest I could find to that was the M1 controller family from Elk Products, their web site being http://www.elkproducts.com, but I couldn't find any support from them for CBus, either with or without a 5500PC.

How will you link these things up...?

dbuckley, Nov 22, 2005
  7. fleetz

PSC

ELK / Ness have a soon to be released CBus interface.

PSC, Nov 22, 2005
  8. fleetz

fleetz

Elk and C-Bus

Yes dbuckley that is the ELk. PCS is on the money about ELK/Ness C-Bus interface. The non offical release is Jan 2006 but that is not confirmed.

Ness and Clipsal are working together on this interface. Unfortunately the information is a bit thin at the moment as I am trying to find out what functionality the C-Bus interface is going to offer with the ELK. I am currently looking at UPB for lighting control but would like to support the Australian product if it is released in the next few months.

Does anyone have any more info as to the functionality of the C-Bus Elk interface?

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Nov 22, 2005
  9. fleetz

PSC

It will be similiar to the Concept where it can control individual group addresses as well as incorporating the logic component of the M1.

I'm not too sure if it will be able to access / utilise all Cbus applications but it all seems to be moving in the right direction - I think you would call it "work in progress".

PSC, Nov 22, 2005
  10. fleetz

fleetz

What level of implimentation

Happy with the work in progress bit.

I suppose what I am really interested in finding out is if the interface will enable the full functionality of the Clipsal Saturn/Neo control and the Clipsal range of DIN light dimmer control as well as DIN relay power control. I suppose without knowing what the "intent" of the implementation of interfacing all I can do is second guess which is difficult moving forward. They may be some deliberate restrictions that Clispal may have placed to protect some market position "let's not give them the works" if you know what I mean.

I have done a bunch more research on the lighting options if C-Bus is not the answer and in the 240V market X-10 is looking like the only other possible solution and that is not going to happen in any home I am building, it is just too clunky and unreliable. Hence I now am looking a lot more closely at the C-Bus M1G solution.

This interface could have any amount of functionality built into it. Until we can find out what the "intent" of the C-Bus implimentation is we will only second guess.

I hope that there will be some clear statement soon.

Fleetz

fleetz, Nov 23, 2005
  11. fleetz

jr_away

fleetz, have you looked at the Comfort panel? www.cytech.biz ... it already has a direct interface to C-bus - no 5500PC required. Apparently Clipsal used to sell this panel but for reasons I can't quite establish (can anybody tell me?!) they stopped doing so a while back.

We've carefully compared Elk with Comfort and consider that Comfort wins hands down. They have just released a new panel which apparently offers even more.

jr_away, Nov 24, 2005
  12. fleetz

PSC

Jr_away,

Tell me - how many security installations have you done with the Comfort?

PSC, Nov 24, 2005
  13. fleetz

jr_away

PSC, if you are saying that Comfort implementation is difficult, tell me more. I have heard it said that the security side is hard to "program" but I think people must be referring to pre-Comfigurator days. If you are saying that Comfigurator is harder to use than the Elk software, why? I think I'm even more qualified to compare software than I am electronic devices ;-) and I don't perceive any particular issues. I can see that Comfort places more emphasis on individual shielded cat 5 runs to keypads, but that's a function of the voice/intercom stuff that isn't provided by the Elk keypad yet. Detector installation is the same apart from resistor values. So if there are difficulties I've missed... I'm all ears!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2005
    jr_away, Nov 24, 2005
Ask a Question