(Another) New Product Release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Conformist, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Conformist

Conformist

Have you read the data sheet?

-Labelling
    -IR capabilities
    -scene engine

Plus what Nick has added

Conformist, Aug 27, 2009
  2. Conformist

Ashley W

Yep, like I said I wasn't bagging the thing, it looks good. I had thought though the most obvious use (as all the other functions are available on other switches of some kind) would be in the extra switch loaction on power points and clearly architraves plates, but the former is clearly not possible.

Ashley W, Aug 27, 2009
  3. Conformist

fleetz

Hi Guys,

This is a nice product and perfect for those folks that want to mix and match traditional installations with some level of C-Bus.

I too am concerned about the SELV and mains segregation issue and meetin AS3000. Clipsal surely have this covered? Are Clipsal offering a complying protective barrier solution to go with this product??? Segregation will clearly not comply based on the series 30 grid spacing which Clipsal would have known from the get go so it would nice to get Clipsal's thinking and solution to make sure this new product can be safely implimented into mixed traditional and C-bus installations.

I am advising on a new installation now where this new product would be ideal as they couldn't afford a complete C-Bus installation this product allows for selective implementation.

Be interested in getting Clipsal's position and solution on the segregation issue before moving forward and suggesting the new product.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 27, 2009
  4. Conformist

Don

The intent of this new design was never to allow mixing mains switches with C-Bus switches on the same plate, nor to allow adding this as an extra switch to a powerpoint.

Dealing with isolation issues here is no different to for example, using a 2 gang wallbox and putting a C-Bus plate on one side and mains switching on the other. The segregation rules are defined in Australian ( and other country) standards, and it is the legal responsibility of the installing electrician to ensure that those issues are met.

Clipsal have offered low voltage products that fit the '30 mech' clip in style for as long as I can remember, in the form of TV, FM, and other outlets. This is not a new issue.

Don, Aug 28, 2009
  5. Conformist

fleetz

Hi Don,

I agree with your comments.

I suppose my concern is that there is a convenient opportunity to locate SELV and mains next to eachother. Not for those who understand segregation and AS3000 but for those who know enough to get themselves into trouble....and don't understand the safety danger.

Unfortunately these people exist out there. This is a nice product for those who know about segregation but a ticking time bomb for those that don't. Please don't get me wrong Clipsal as a responsible manufacturer have made a complying product with all the necessary installation warnings it won't stop the those who don't understand segregation from installing these side by side.

Heaven forbid I am wrong but they will only do it once!

Fleetz

fleetz, Aug 28, 2009
  6. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

Yeah, its no different to somebody putting a TV outlet in the 30M form factor into a combo mains / 30M switch plate. You can do it (physically) but its not legal.

Manufacturers do have a limit in how far they can go. Licensed electricians know this can't be done.

ashleigh, Aug 29, 2009
Ask a Question