Another coding Question

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by znelbok, Aug 4, 2004.

1. znelbok

znelbok

I have a fan heater light in the bathroom with a four gang neo.

When either "heat 1" or "heat 2" is turned on I want the fan to turn on (as described as the prefered wiring in the enclosed instructions).

I can get the above to work, but (there is always a but), it means the fan can be turned off with the heat lights are still on and turning the heat lights off leaves the fan on (which may or may not be an issue).

Scene control may work (just thought of that), but that reduces the switch to four states, instead of eight (ie on and off being two states from one switch) and thus I can turn on OK but not off.

Has anyone done a 4in1 before and save me the time in working it out.

Mick

znelbok, Aug 4, 2004
  2. znelbok

Newman

You could do this with logic in the C-Bus Relay unit I expect you've got connected to your 4 in 1 unit. IF either of the heater groups is On THEN turn On the fan. It's called OR logic for the channel you've got the fan connected to.

Newman, Aug 4, 2004
  3. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks
    Being trying that, but it is not perfect - as I said, it allows you to turn off the fan while the heat lights are on (no interlocking between them as you would get with the mechs supplied).
    I will keep hacking at it to see if I can get a setup I like

Mick

znelbok, Aug 4, 2004
  4. znelbok

Newman

Let me give you an example

Channel 1 is heat lamp 1 on Group 10
    Channel 2 is heat lamp 2 on Group 11
    Channel 3 is the fan on Group 12

First Logic Group is set to Group 10
    Second Logic Group is set to Group 11
    On the Logic Tab Channel 3 is checked for First and Second Logic Groups and the logic type is set to OR logic.

In this way if the groups associated with the heat lamps are ON then the Fan WILL be on, no if's, buts or maybes about it. Because OR logic is used it doesn't matter what you do with the group associated with the Fan. If the heat lamps are On the fan WILL be On.

Of course when the heat lamps are off you have normal independent control of the fan via it's own Group Address.

I hope this helps.

Newman, Aug 4, 2004
  5. znelbok

znelbok

Newman - read my last post.

What you have said is correct and it is how it is set up at the moment, but it allows the user to walk out and turn the FAN off, leaving the heat lights on - this is my concern

Or logic will not prevent this

Thanks

znelbok, Aug 4, 2004
  6. znelbok

Newman

Mick

I can't see how this can happen with the programming I described. If the person walks out the bathroom and presses the switch to turn off the Fan then the fan will keep running as long as the heat lamps are on.

I have confirmed this programming on a small network and with my settings it is impossible to get the fan to turn off whilst the heat lamps are on.

The trick to it is assigning the same Group Addresses to the Logic Groups that are assigned to the heat lamp channels all in a single Relay unit.

Perhaps if you describe the mechanism that allows the Fan to turn off then that would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2004
    Newman, Aug 4, 2004
  7. znelbok

Ross

Mick,
    You could always use a minder ;)

Ross, Aug 4, 2004
  8. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks Newman

I will double check what I have to make sure.

Ross

Too expensive just to run a fan, then it just cost me more money for other control and I already have a PLC for generic control

Mick

znelbok, Aug 6, 2004
Ask a Question