Announcement: Clipsal to publish the C-Bus serial protocols for free use

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by admin_vb, Apr 2, 2009.

1. admin_vb

admin_vb On Holiday

Clipsal today provided this announcement:

---------------------------------------------------------

Announcement:
    Clipsal to publish the C-Bus serial protocols for free use by application and product developers

Clipsal have today announced that it will publish the C-Bus Application Layer protocols for free access and download. These protocols enable equipment developers and suppliers to integrate their products with a C-Bus system.

Starting in the next week or two, the initial set of protocol documents will be published and made available. These documents include:

- A guide for developers to use the C-Bus Serial Interface device

- A description of the different ways to interface a device to C-Bus

- Over 15 detailed serial protocol descriptions covering the following C-Bus Applications (with more to come):
    - Lighting, Switching and Electrical Load Control
    - Security
    - Trigger Control (including Scene Triggering and Indicator Control)
    - Enable Control
    - Temperature Broadcast
    - Ventilation
    - Access Control
    - Clocks and Timekeeping
    - Telephony
    - Air Conditioning
    - Irrigation Control
    - Measurement and analogue input
    - Pool, Spa, Pond and Fountain Control
    - Device Error Reporting

Later in 2009, additional protocol documents will be added to the published list. This will include Multi-Room Audio Control, and several others still in development.

To aid equipment and product developers, Clipsal will also later this year make available the 5000SM/2 - a small matchbox sized module that can be easily added to equipment to build in a C-Bus Interface. This product has been available for some time to C-Bus Enabled partners - it will now become generally available. A development kit, drawings, dimensions, and so on will also be made generally available.

The existing C-Bus Enabled program will continue - providing a point of contact for equipment developers, support. If desired by an equipment manufacturer, a product can also be tested for conformance under the C-Bus Enabled program - giving customers confidence of a quality product that is endorsed by Clipsal. C-Bus Enabled partners will also be able to purchase customised 5000SM2's or C-Bus micro controllers which will give their product direct support in the C-Bus Toolkit software.

Current software drivers for WindowsTM and Linux operating systems will continue to be provided for free download, as will the fully-featured C-Gate software driver.

Ron Ghezzi, C-Bus Product Offer Manager said "We are very excited about the opening up and publication of C-Bus serial protocols, which will make integration by an already thriving community of developers even easier."

Common Questions & Answers

Q: What is the price of the 5000SM/2?
    A: A final price is still being determined, for small volumes it is expected to be approximately A$70. Please check with you local sales office of details.

Q: Will anyone be able to order the 5000SM/2 module?
    A: Yes, this module will be ordered in the same way as other C-Bus equipment.

Q: Can I order any quantity I want of the 5000SM/2?
    A: Yes. Volume purchases should be discussed with your local sales offices.

Q: Can I get a custom 5000SM/2 for mass production?
    A: Yes, but volume limits do apply. Clipsal can allocate custom part numbers, and program custom C-Bus network identities. Please contact you local sales office for more information. Existing customer using these processes will see no change.

Q: Will the 5000SM/2 specifications, dimensions, pin-outs, etc be published?
    A: Yes, soon after the protocol documentation.

Q: Will the protocol documentation be available for free?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will registration, or some other process be needed to obtain documentation?
    A: No, just acceptance of the on-line terms and conditions of use.

Q: Is support available? If I don?t understand something can I contact your engineering group?
    A: Contact with the Clipsal engineering group is not available. You will be able to post questions to cbusforums.com, and Clipsal engineers may answer in their own time if they choose. Support is not available from the Technical Training and Support call centre. Support is available from the C-Bus Enabled Coordinator by email only. Please email [email protected]

Q: When will new protocol documents be published?
    A: Protocol document updates (to correct errors, omissions, etc) will be published as quickly as possible after an update has been made. Where a new protocol is defined for use in a Clipsal product, it will be published 0 to 12 months after product release. The delay allows time for discovery of market or other difficulties and their correction. Earlier publication is possible but is at Clipsal?s discretion.

Q: Where can I find the documentation?
    A: The documents will be available on-line from the Clipsal C-Bus Downloads page and the C-Bus Enabled Web Site.

Q: What does this mean for the C-Bus Enabled Program?
    A: There is no change ? apart from access to the base documentation set. Partners who want a device checked for satisfactory operation are strongly encouraged to come to the experts. C-Bus Enabled products will continue to be promoted by Clipsal. C-Bus Enabled means everybody (customers, equipment makers, installers, Technical Support and Sales) can have confidence in the performance and quality of a non-Clipsal product.

Q: I made my own gadget and attached it to C-Bus. Now things don?t work right. Can you help me?
    A: Only if you are part of the C-Bus Enabled partner program. If you are not a C-Bus Enabled Partner, no support of this type will be provided.

Q: Will Clipsal support a site with a non-Clipsal, or non-C-Bus Enabled device installed?
    A: Clipsal cannot support an installation using devices which are not made by Clipsal or a C-Bus Enabled partner. Remove those devices. If problems persist, Clipsal Technical Support is available.

admin_vb, Apr 2, 2009
  2. admin_vb

admin_vb On Holiday

Because of this announcement, the forum admin will soon make a new topic for discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
    admin_vb, Apr 2, 2009
  3. admin_vb

admin_vb On Holiday

admin_vb, Apr 5, 2009
  4. admin_vb

admin_vb On Holiday

I found today that some new serial protocol documents have been listed.

The set there is now:

- Access Control Application

- Air Conditioning Application

- Clock and Timekeeping Application

- Enable Control Application

- Error Reporting Application

- HVAC Actuator Application

- Irrigation Application

- Lighting Application

- Measurement Application

- Metering Application

- Pools Spas Ponds and Fountains Application