[ANNOUNCE] New AGPLv3 C-Gate Interface library

Discussion in 'Third-Party Solutions' started by OxleyDave, Sep 20, 2008.

1. OxleyDave

OxleyDave

I have created the beginnings of a Java library to interface with C-Gate. The library is hosted over on sourceforge and is distributed under the AGPLv3 license. There is currently no useful functionality but I am announcing to get peer review and feedback of the API's.

The Javadoc is here:
    http://www.daveoxley.co.uk/cgateinterface/
    And the project site is here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/cgateinterface/

It should not take long (time permitting) to get the library into a usable state and I have plans for various applications for the library including:
    1. Scene Controller - Process scene events from C-Gate and play the scene as specified in a DBMS or record the scene and persist into the DBMS.
    2. Scene Controller UI - A UI for editing scenes in the DBMS for the Scene Controller.
    3. Scene Controller Web Service - A web service for interacting with scenes over the Internet or local LAN.
    4. MythTV Scene Controller Plugin - Call the Scene Controller Web Service to set up scenes based on MythTV events. i.e. Dim the lights when starting to watch a DVD.
    5. HVAC Automation - Use various sources of information (outside and inside temperatures, weather forecast from internet, historic data, etc) to auto-learn the required heating/cooling requirements with no user interaction.

Cheers,
    Dave.

OxleyDave, Sep 20, 2008
  2. OxleyDave

OxleyDave

I have been working on a web based application that uses this library, called C-Nery. As this (and the library) are written in Java they are not required to be run on Windows; I've been doing all development and testing (including running C-Gate) on Linux.

I am awaiting sourceforge hosting approval for this project. I decided not to put a live demo on my website for security reasons :p but here are some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OxleyDave, Sep 25, 2008
  3. OxleyDave

OxleyDave

OxleyDave, Sep 27, 2008
  4. OxleyDave

Roti

Nice work. I wanted to start something like this myself for a while but have (and will continue to have) absolutely no free time. Happy to test for you occasionally if you want. I note you appear to have a number of bridges - I assume you have a retrofit of C-bus wireless units, similar to me.

Roti, Sep 30, 2008
  5. OxleyDave

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi OxleyDave,

Clever play on words there! C-Nery => Scenery

Looks good. I'm always excited when this sort of stuff appears! Your grid with the multiple page support seems well suited for mobile devices.

I know the UI is only proof of concept - however there's an exception when clicking on any of the buttons if an item is not selected in the list below. Maybe preselect the first item to keep things simple?

I do notice also whenever I try to toggle groups I get 408 Operation failed. I'm guessing C-Nery is not opening the networks at this stage?

Had a peep through the source, looks very neat.

Nice work!

daniel, Oct 1, 2008
  6. OxleyDave

OxleyDave

The projects that are there are the demo projects that come with C-Gate. I have another copy of C-Gate and C-Nery running that contains my own project. Testing would be appreciated once I've got a bit more code done.

Haha, cheers. I wanted something a bit catchy and also to make it obvious that it works with C-Gate.

On the contrary, I currently don't have a network interface but all the code is there to open the network and turn on, off and ramp groups. Suffice to say that this part of the code has not yet been tested! Even if I did have an interface the demo would not be connected to it though; wouldn't want you turning my lights on and off :p

Thanks for that. I'm reasonably happy with the CGateInterface code but at work we've written a proprietary framework and therefore I'm only just learning JSF. So expect the C-Nery code to improve a lot!

OxleyDave, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question