All Off Scene using a wireless system

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by Htnut, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Htnut

Htnut

I have a wireless only system with 24 Saturn units. I have a button at the front and back door to do an "All Off" function.

These buttons trigger a remote scene located in 2 units which are located in the middle of the house. These two units are called Kitchen and lounge and the scene in each turns 12 group addresses off.

The problem I am having is that I need to press the all off button several times to get all the lights to turn off.

I have no problem in scanning the units from toolkit. I have looked at the application log and have found if there is only one press then either the kitchen scene will trigger or the lounge scene but rarely both on a single press. At other times one of the scenes triggers but only turns about half the groups off

Pressing the button (or setting the action selector in toolkit ) twice in reasonably quick succession usually results in all the groups being turned off

Can anyone please help?

Htnut, Aug 9, 2010
  2. Htnut

NickD Moderator

The problem is probably that when the two scenes are triggered simultaneously in both units, the resulting burst of traffic creates lots of collisions.

If possible, try putting the entire scene in one unit.

Nick

NickD, Aug 9, 2010
  3. Htnut

Htnut

Hi Nick

With wireless, a scene is limited to 12 groups which is why I split it between 2 units.

Are you suggesting that I use 2 scenes but put them in the same unit?

Thanks

Htnut, Aug 9, 2010
  4. Htnut

Newman

Toolkit lets me program up to 49 groups in a Scene for a Wireless unit. Is it possible you're using a very, very old version of Toolkit?

Newman, Aug 9, 2010
  5. Htnut

Htnut

I am using the latest version of toolkit now but I programmed this system some years back.

When I add the 13th group I get a message saying:

Scene with more than 12 commands may not be transmitted correctly to adjacent networks.

I think that is what discouraged me from using more than 12 groups. What does this message mean and should I just ignore it?

Htnut, Aug 9, 2010
  6. Htnut

ashleigh Moderator

You can ignore that message in TK.

Just program the scene into one unit with all the groups. The reliability should improve.

ashleigh, Aug 9, 2010
  7. Htnut

Htnut

All working properly now and easier to maintain :)

I think you have also given me a clue as to what is wrong with another installation that I have an outstanding support case with!

Thanks to all for your help.

Htnut, Aug 9, 2010
  8. Htnut

NickD Moderator

The reason for the warning about the size of the scene relates to the wireless gateway's ability to forward large scenes to the wired network.. if you have a scene larger than this stored in a wireless unit, not all of the groups will make it across the wireless gateway onto the wired network.

So for a wireless-only system like yours, this is why as ashleigh says, you can ignore the message.

Nick

NickD, Aug 9, 2010
  9. Htnut

ashleigh Moderator

The warning also applies only to certain older firmware releases in wireless units.

Later versions had some firmware changes to ensure that all the groups in monster scenes WILL leap over the gateway, however, off the top of my head I don't remember which version it changed in.

The warning in TK is prudent because there are a mix of f/w versions out there so you have to warn about the worst case.

For hybrid wired / wireless networks the best method of doing big scenes is to put the scenes on the wired side and just send a trigger from wireless. That way the limitations won't be a hurdle (big scenes from wired -> wireless are not an issue).

ashleigh, Aug 10, 2010
Ask a Question