Alarm and CBUS options

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by brj, May 26, 2006.

1. brj

Ross

Oh dear,
    A contentious issue, "which is the best"?

Personally, I, like Conformist find it hard to criticize the Minder. It?s a very solid panel, and powerful logic controller when used with a building automation system. Its still hard to live without it. :)

I have done several security systems using the Minder but will side with Pete on this point; it?s just too hard, when so many other real, stand alone, security panels do the job better. It is possible to get everything to stick together and I have to admit, all these years later they are still chugging away happily. I haven't used 650 panels, but I was getting there....

Anyway..

Ross, Jun 16, 2006
  2. brj

Conformist

Hi Peter

Yes, all panels are used for security. About 40 are monitored by security companies. Yes, we are in Australia!!

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Jun 17, 2006
  3. brj

Conformist

I must agree with you Ross on the panel. If you know your way around the panel and have a good way of switching betwen scenarios, then there are very few problems. The major problem we have, is the LCD keypad which can lose it's address during brief power outages (even though it's on the battery backed supply).

I have one in my home (must admit, it runs ThinkBoxx software as it has IR and ITI remotes, window reeds etc) and a second one (Mk1) in the shed that takes care of a bit of switching (garden lights, irrigation etc). They are linked by C-Bus to sync the functions. Very solid performers.

My main panel runs my in floor and in-ceiling heating, lighting control, security and is linked to a web enabled device for remote and TCP/IP control (Ross, you know what that is ;) ) It all hums along happily.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
    Conformist, Jun 17, 2006
  4. brj

PSC

Definitely not my first, second, third or even one hundreth choice in secuirty panels.

They take too long to program for that task, and with the price of security systems these days why would you bother.

PSC, Jun 17, 2006
  5. brj

PSC

The only reason I asked was because I believe that there are newer generation Minder / Comfort? panels outside of Australia?

BTW, you must have too much time on yours hands if you have programmed 650 Minders as security systems :p :p :p

PSC, Jun 17, 2006
  6. brj

Conformist

Hmm Not too sure I agree with you Peter. We simply boot a panel with a standard program (All I/O are the same on each), rem out the devices not required (don't put them into the class), do a 'save as' and away you go.

We use NX and ELK and whilst they are good panels, the protection of our IP in the ELK aint too hot!! If another company comes in to do monitoring, they can retrieve our program and use it. If you've spent considerabe time designing a program and (once again) boot your standard into your panels, then this is a real problem.

BTW, we've installed about 100 Ness M1 panels, now the Minder is no longer available. IMHO, great on the security front, but lacks power on the automation front especially dynamic writing and client access through keypad.

Cheers

Conformist, Jun 17, 2006
  7. brj

Conformist

We don't particularly like the comfort. Looked very closely at it, but were not too happy. What do you use for your automation?

The Minders were installed over a period of 5 years so it's not too many per year. Similar program in each too, so easy to program

Cheers

Conformist, Jun 17, 2006
  8. brj

rhamer

C'mon, you have to tell me what that is all about.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 17, 2006
  9. brj

Conformist

Oh Rohan, I'm sure you can work it out. :rolleyes:

Conformist, Jun 17, 2006
  10. brj

Ross

I'm too much of a conformist to comment. :D

Ross, Jun 17, 2006
  11. brj

rhamer

Ok Chris, I'll take a stab at it.

I'm guessing you are using one of those ethernet to RS232 converters like the Lantrinix or Digi devices?

Am I getting warm?

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 18, 2006
  12. brj

Frank Mc Alinden

Ok i,ll have a guess Chris is too busy Beavering away with another hardware project....;-)

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Jun 18, 2006
  13. brj

PSC

We have used Minder for security in past, now I mean the past :) But now we only use Concept panels, security = excellent, C-Bus integration = good enough.

Although I am playing with a M1 at the moment, I think I will reserve my comments at this stage, but it does seem to have a lot of potential. I just think the security doesn't stack up for us on our projects.

PSC, Jun 18, 2006
  14. brj

Conformist

Ah Frank, you are way too clever.

Conformist, Jun 18, 2006
  15. brj

jr_away

<i>We use NX and ELK and whilst they are good panels, the protection of our IP in the ELK aint too hot!! If another company comes in to do monitoring, they can retrieve our program and use it. If you've spent considerabe time designing a program and (once again) boot your standard into your panels, then this is a real problem.</i>

I had understood that if you specify an access code in RP, your competitor won't be able to connect to that panel without it.

jr_away, Jun 19, 2006
  16. brj

jr_away

<i>Ok i,ll have a guess Chris is too busy Beavering away with another hardware project....;-)</i>

Hmmm... so I went and googled "beaver remote control" ... and found strap-on toys and Amish controlling animals via remote control. Which is it? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
    jr_away, Jun 19, 2006
  17. brj

Conformist

Yes, that is true... but if your client wants to have monitored security and you are not setting it up, they will require the code which may be provided for them

Conformist, Jun 19, 2006
  18. brj

Conformist

Try 'Beaver Automation" ... The strap on toys do sound interesting though :rolleyes:

or http://www.integratorsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
    Conformist, Jun 19, 2006
Ask a Question