Alarm and CBUS options

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by brj, May 26, 2006.

1. brj

PSC

OK John,

Other than the LOGICAL limitations being upto 255 on an application x the number of available applications = total number of available GA's on a network.

John, as you seem to have far more spare time on your hands than myself; is it possible to pull that calculator out of your top pocket and do the math for the rest of the community? ;)

PSC, May 31, 2006
  2. brj

JohnC

Hi PSC

My calculator is currently caught in my Pocket Protector, so I've used my trusty slide rule to determine that the limit is ummm... heaps of GAs on a Network !

But seriously, I was actually replying to Greg's comment of "100 x GAs per network", rather than you, Peter. I was attempting to clarify that there are the Application Addresses and Network Addresses to be considered too. That's basically what you already implied in your post 30th May (sorry, that I didn't notice it)

I also assumed that an Alarm interface (especially if you were re-writing and existing one) would be better if it supported more than just 1 application. Anyway, I know little about Alarms so I'll leave it to the experts now :D

Cheers, John

JohnC, Jun 1, 2006
  3. brj

Phil.H

Don't worry about PSC JohnC he's like that with everone. He's like a Forum guard dog. You never know when he is going to come running out of his kennel and have a go. Overall though (like a good guard dog) he is handy to have around. Once you get around the barking, raised fur and clenched teeth he has a friendly side. We just have to keep the training school visits going :D

Phil.H, Jun 1, 2006
  4. brj

PSC

I think it's spelt EVERYONE

WOOF WOOF :D

PSC, Jun 1, 2006
  5. brj

Darpa

So does this mean that Peter is now the official C-Bus Forums mascot? :p

*Slowly walks away backwards, then turns around, runs, and hides for fear of the almighty Peter's wrath* :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2006
    Darpa, Jun 1, 2006
  6. brj

jr_away

<i>The ness range is ok for a basic install but i'd be installing a Concept 4000 security and access control panel which is CBUS enabled (RS232). It is a really flexible system however the end user need to be switched on to get the full use of it</i>

Have you checked out the M1's C-bus interface? It plugs straight into the C-bus pink cable using the same connector as a bus coupler. Then you can control your lights using standard M1 rules. It's not (yet) 2-way, but you don't need expensive upgrades to manage more than 16 c-bus groups as you do with Concept and it doesn't require a C-bus serial PCI either. Swings and round-abouts, but IMHO the M1 provides a lot more than just a basic install.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
    jr_away, Jun 2, 2006
  7. brj

BSS

Neutering generally settles them down a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    I can give you the number of a good vet.

BSS, Jun 3, 2006
  8. brj

GCK

Hi Pete,

The limitation of 256 is the program within the M1. Each M1 will support 256 individual lights (e.g. in the cse of C-bus GA's.)

However we will be releasing in July our front end Access Control / Security Management software that will allow 4 M1's to be network to the one front end system, so depending on the application it will expand the system to over 1,000 lights over 4 C-Bus networks.

Greg

GCK, Jun 3, 2006
  9. brj

GCK

JR, all feedback has been taken onboard since the Ness C-Bus release and it had been planned since day one for the 2 way module once we had more info from both the M1 side and C-Bus and a faster processor.

The next release of the Ness C-Bus interface is well advanced and will also support different applications that just application 38. This in addition to the Ness Starwatch Security Management front end software (that will support connection of up to 4 M1's - giving a system capacity of 832 Zones, 32 Areas, and 1000+ lights as well as 2,000+ access control doors and 20,000 plus users) it will cater for all the current requests Ness has received.!!

However like all good things it is a pain in the you know where for the waiting, but Ness is listening and reacting as quick as possible.

GCK.

GCK, Jun 3, 2006
  10. brj

Jesmond

Guys,

I have been reading with interest your responses, and would like to know if anyone has heard of or successfully integrated a DIGIPLEX - DGP-848 (by Paradox) with CBUS. I am led to believe there has not been too many installed in Victoria but there are quite a few in NSW.

Would like some opinions please.....

Regards

Jesmond, Jun 3, 2006
  11. brj

jr_away

Actually I was sticking up for Ness there ;-) I spent almost a year reviewing alarm options including M1, Concept, Comfort. IMHO the Comfort had (and still has) the best integration with C-Bus, but lack of partitions would have made implementation unnecessarily complex. Of the other 2, IMHO the M1 is a better proposition even before 2-way. The basic M1G comes with *heaps* of stuff you'd need to pay $$$ for in Concept. The M1 C-bus interface may not be perfect but it does allow easy lighting management that is probably the most useful function. Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating: I implemented the M1G in my own place.

Now, if I really wanted to complain... lets see... I know! Why the #$^%$ can't you cycle through available partitions at the M1G keypad? Sure you can dig into the menus, but spouses who were never really convinced about the need to replace a 10-year-old Solution 16 become openly scathing when they discover that the fabulous new system cannot even toggle between partitions without a major exercise. I can find no way to program a key to do that on the M1G. Since there is a keypad menu option, surely this can be exposed for button programing? (end of whinge)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
    jr_away, Jun 6, 2006
  12. brj

GCK

Now, if I really wanted to complain... lets see... I know! Why the #$^%$ can't you cycle through available partitions at the M1G keypad? Sure you can dig into the menus, but spouses who were never really convinced about the need to replace a 10-year-old Solution 16 become openly scathing when they discover that the fabulous new system cannot even toggle between partitions without a major exercise. I can find no way to program a key to do that on the M1G. Since there is a keypad menu option, surely this can be exposed for button programing? (end of whinge)[/QUOTE]

JR, your whinge has been heard, (well we actually had it planned before your whinge) watch this space as the option to program a Keypad key for Area view / control is included in the next release, due approx 2-3 weeks.:D

In the meantime (depending on how many areas you are using) you can use the keypad "F" keys to show the status of areas as well as use them to Arm and Disarm them.:)

GCK.

GCK, Jun 9, 2006
  13. brj

jr_away

<i>(well we actually had it planned before your whinge) watch this space as the option to program a Keypad key for Area view / control is included in the next release, due approx 2-3 weeks</i>

That's one important reason to choose the M1 IMHO ... you only have to spend a few days in these forums to see that Ness is a fantastic vendor. And the M1 is a fantastic product.

jr_away, Jun 11, 2006
  14. brj

Josh

Maybe we should have a poll to see which Alarm panel is considered technically better than the rest :)

Josh, Jun 11, 2006
  15. brj

ICS-GS

oldie but a goodie

has everybody forgotten... dare i say it "011011010110100101101110011001000110010101110010"

ICS-GS, Jun 14, 2006
  16. brj

PSC

Yes, we have thankfully forgotten Minder - get ready for a big quote;

"MINDER - THE WORLDS WORST SECURITY SYSTEM!" PSC 2006. :)

PSC, Jun 14, 2006
  17. brj

jr_away

If that's the Minder/Comfort to which you refer, the "Comfigurator" software has made it a lot easier!

jr_away, Jun 16, 2006
  18. brj

PSC

Mmmmm....

I'm talking about old school Minder.

PSC, Jun 16, 2006
  19. brj

Conformist

might be a good idea. Probably a bit left for this forum though. Maybe Ross will accommodate on integratorsforum.com

BTW, we've installed about 650 Minders in the last 5 years and whilst there have been some small problems, not much more than any other panel we use/have used :eek:

Conformist, Jun 16, 2006
  20. brj

PSC

Are all these panels used for security?

Are you based in Australia?

PSC, Jun 16, 2006
Ask a Question