Air Conditioner Unit - C-Bus Intergration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by david-Adelaide, Jul 22, 2012.

1. david-Adelaide

david-Adelaide

I am in the process of acquiring an Air Conditioner for our new 5 bedroom 300 sqm house in the Adelaide Hills.

One of the requirements of the unit is that it must accommodate integration into the existing Clipsal C-Bus system (5070THPR) and be RWG compatible.

Can anyone advise me of a unit that is easily integrated into the C-Bus?

david-Adelaide, Jul 22, 2012
  2. david-Adelaide

NickD Moderator

Unfortunately this is not that easy.

Whilst the C-Bus Thermostats use an industry standard interface, it seems it's more of a standard for commercial plant, and the typical residential plant manufacturers are less interested in allowing 3rd party systems to control their plant.

Depending on your requirements and budget, there are many different possible approaches, giving different levels of integration with C-Bus.

If you can tell us more about the type of plant, what other systems it needs to work with (if any), and what level of integration you are after (what you consider essential, and what is just a nice-to-have), then we can probably point you in the right direction.

Nick (also in the Adelaide Hills)

NickD, Jul 23, 2012
  3. david-Adelaide

tobex

Anything can be made to integrate with CBUS. The problem is determining where the sensors for airflow and temp should be installed and whether or not you intend to use passive airflow metering (preset levels) or active airflow metering.

It also matters whether or not you will be using a thermal transfer unit to purge the house of CO2. Just blowing stale and mouldy air around in a loop doesn't actually require any CBUS.

Your system can output signals via dry contacts or software information. You have not specified which method you intend to use.

I think there are several dozens questions arising from your question.

tobex, Jul 23, 2012
  4. david-Adelaide

david-Adelaide

Thanks NickD and tobex.

I was hoping to keep things simple. I am planning on controlling the zone dampers with the ELV Relay Unit (L5108RELVP) and simply connecting the AC unit into the 5070THPR Thermostat.

Hopefully this is acheivable but open to suggestions as I am new to this.

Thanks again,

David

david-Adelaide, Jul 23, 2012
  5. david-Adelaide

tobex

The connection between the thermostat and the AC is via some output module. You can determine the logic state and temp values in CBUS but that is only useful in determining a relay output value for actuating the AC.

There are software gateways for many of the Japanese systems such as Toshiba, MHI and also Daikin. These tend to be involved and expensive but are seamless.

I assume from your clarification that you want blower speed and temp control to be addressable from a CBUS interface and to pass those logic steps over to CBUS using relays.

As far as I know, all brands of AC have expansion modules which accept dry contact inputs. Some brands have OEM solutions and some require integration with other brands.

tobex, Jul 23, 2012
  6. david-Adelaide

stevegranger

Thanks for help you helped me to know about the AC and thermostat connections, now i won't need any heating contractors for help.

stevegranger, Jan 19, 2018
  7. david-Adelaide

znelbok

Cool Automation make automation interfaces to suit many A/C brands. There are people here who have installed the CoolLink and integrated it with C-bus. Cool Automation have introduced a new product now, he Cool Link Hub and Cool Plug (from memory). The plug connects to the A/C system with a Modbus connection back to the Hub (up to 10 different units can be connected) and the hub has a serial and Ethernet interface. It support Modbus and has a ASCII protocol that is easy to interface to with the PAC, Wiser and I assume the new automation controller.

This may give you more flexibility in selecting a system and provide an option for saving money.

znelbok, Jan 19, 2018
    Mr Mark likes this.
  8. david-Adelaide

Matthew

Matthew, Jan 29, 2018
Ask a Question