Advice on RJ45 splicing

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Beerygaz, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Beerygaz

Beerygaz

I'm looking for some practical advice on connecting multiple inputs and devices in a neat, and easy to troubleshoot manner.

For example: I want to add two PIR's to the network and it's easier to route the cable back to my DB than to any other inputs, but my dimmer and relay modules have no spare RJ45 slots, so what's the neatest and error-free manner of connecting additional devices?

I know "a bit of chocolate block glued to the db" will work, but it's neither neat nor elegant. Are there "patch panel" solutions available at all?

Beerygaz, Jan 23, 2006
  2. Beerygaz

darrenblake

Neat patching solutions

You have a couple of options here. You can buy any RJ45 path panel from your local data products provider, or if you have access to the Starserve range of products, perhaps a Clipsal 8052/4RJ harmonica will suit your needs.

darrenblake, Jan 23, 2006
  3. Beerygaz

znelbok

I had not thoght of this, using a patch panel.

SO I assume you mean that the back of the patch panel just has the same pin for each connected to all ports using a punch down tool without a cutter and one long wire or two wirein the one pin (which is apparently not recomended).

I have done this in the past for some telephone, so I dont know why I did not think of doin this for C-bus.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Beerygaz

darrenblake

Neat patching solutions

Hi Mick,

The way i have done it is stripping back the Cat5 from the DB nice and long, and punching it down in a loop fashion into the back of each jack minus the cutter attachment.
    This will provide you as many ports as required to terminate your field equipment.
    By using the harmonica, up to 4 jacks are already internally linked, so you dont need to create the interconnect yourself.
    It has come in handy more than once trying to locate and isolate shorts etc.

I am also looking at using a similar setup in a serviced apartment development were the apartments may be strata titled in the future. It will allow the units to be interconnected via the patchpanel creating one large network for control and monitoring from Scheduler Plus, but allow each unit to be disconnected, and quickly reprogrammed into individual projects later.

darrenblake, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Beerygaz

RossW

RossW, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Beerygaz

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Here we wire harmonicas to link all sockets in series, and use the ubiquitous 30cm cables cut in half to patch the units in. Makes for a very easy and configurable test bench.

daniel, Jan 24, 2006
Ask a Question