Advice for a new home build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hollywoodperth, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Hollywoodperth

Hollywoodperth

P_R thanks, sounds pretty good. I'll let you know how I go with the A/C system. I think it will work well and be much better than the vendor offerings.

Hollywoodperth, Oct 10, 2018
  2. Hollywoodperth

NickD Moderator

It depends on how much you want to DIY.

If your time is free, then there are a number of threads here on getting Alex or Siri up an running.

If you want more of a turnkey solution, check out SmartVoice.

Nick

NickD, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Hollywoodperth

Matthew

I am another independent C-Bus technician, owner & advocate for 22 years.
    If this is your primary motivation then I recommend Solar analytics for this function then.https://www.solaranalytics.com/au/
    Far cheaper and purpose built for monitoring the generated AND consumed load of a house.

As others have said, it'll be a wierd (and short sighted in my opinion) setup.
    The idea is that you have a C-Bus switch in each room, you don't walk back to the touch screen in the lounge room.
    My wife always appreciated being able to dim the lights up in the kids rooms at night when they were young. Now they are teenagers I flash them off and on again when it's dinner time as they don't hear anything with gadgets in their ears.
    I have several outside light circuits accessible from 4 doors, they are controlled by a switch at each door and from the touch screen. see how much a 4 switch controlled light circuit will cost you in mains cabling.
    It's up to you, but as anyone with experience will tell you, it's not a smart thing to do.

Matthew, Oct 15, 2018
  4. Hollywoodperth

Nath1304

Where did you put your 5500shac? In a separate 6 module enclosure somewhere else? Ive got 4 enclosures, 1 DB and 3 cbus, trying to figure out where to put the shac.

Nath1304, Dec 12, 2018
  5. Hollywoodperth

Ashley

Keep it out of any enclosure that has mains connected. If you don't have any SELV enclosures a separate 6 module enclosure is fine.

Ashley, Dec 13, 2018
  6. Hollywoodperth

daniel C-Busser Moderator

I have a networking cabinet (example) with a switch and patch panel in it for the house's ethernet ports. I ran a C-Bus drop there as well. I fashioned my own DIN RAIL mount inside with a bit of timber. This has the nice benefit of keeping all the IP equipment close together.

daniel, Jan 9, 2019
    Nath1304 likes this.
Ask a Question