Adding Groups

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by curlyted, Aug 6, 2004.

1. curlyted

curlyted

How to add a group (of multiple units) which when applied to any button of any Neo switch in the house will turn on multiple lights without having to have those units already assigned to the Neo switch?

Eg; I have 2 pairs of 2 bunker lights on the front of the house each are identifed on the dimmer unit as separate lights (unit #1, Frt Bunker RH & Unit #2, Frt Bunker LH)

What I want to do is swith on/off both of these lights using one button on my Neo Switch. I can do it by having assigned a button to 'Frt Bunker RH' then adding another button for 'Frt Bunker LH' and then customizing on of the button setups to operate both lights. this still means I have 2 buttons on the Neo switch taken, surely there must be a way of adding a group called 'Both Bunker Lights' to the Neo.

Do I have to make the group on the dimmer/relay?

cheers :eek:

Curlyted

curlyted, Aug 6, 2004
  2. curlyted

Duncan

Hi D,

You have to use an advanced setup on Neo.. like this:

[​IMG]

Key 1 above is now setup to control both Bunker Light 1 and Bunker LIght 2

Got Broadband in Blackwood Park yet? :)

Duncan, Aug 6, 2004
  3. curlyted

curlyted

Duncan,
    thanks for the quick reply.
    I am just applied for broadband, now doing the waiting game. So far it sounds promising that I should be able to connect, in 2-3 weeks......Using Netspace.

This forum is a great idea..love it as it should help me with all my newbie questions. I am still considering doing the C-Bus2 training course.
    What do you think? Is is worth it for a home user or just for installers.

BTW you are still welcome to pop in anytime for a drink and chat, would love to show you the finished house and pick your brains..hehehe

Using your reply I still will have 2 buttons assigned but only one operational.
    Is there a way of having a group already identified as controlling 2 units and assigning this to one button?

cheers

D

curlyted, Aug 6, 2004
  4. curlyted

Duncan

Hi D,

No just 1 button assigned to control 2 groups.

A Neo is capable of controlling up to 8 groups, so this leaves you 6 groups for the remainining 7 keys..

So, at some point you'll either have a key that you dont use, or 2 keys controlling the same group (maybe 2 diff functions, ramp up/down for example)..

The fully programmed switch might look like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see Key 1 controls both of your bunker lights, the remaining keys control other groups.. the last 2 keys control the same group.. but would be set up to do different functions on that group.

What might not be clear is that you Left-Click on those groups, a drop down box appears that lets you select the Group you want to control.

Would love to see the finished house! This weekend is out, lets organise something for the weekend after? I'll email you my details.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2004
    Duncan, Aug 6, 2004
  5. curlyted

PSC

Bunker lights

Just give them the same group address in the dimmer gui or if you want to have individual control as well, create a logic group on both dimmers with the same (new logic) group address i.e. "bunker all" and then assign that group address to the one button.

PSC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2004
    PSC, Aug 6, 2004
  6. curlyted

curlyted

any chance you could give me a bit more explanation of what you mean as I am very new to all this jargon.
    How do I "give them the same group address in the dimmer gui "
    What is a and how do you create a "Logic Group"
    Your suggestion seems to be what I am looking for,

thanks in advance.

curlyted, Aug 9, 2004
  7. curlyted

PSC

OK, open up your CBus software, set the project and scan the network.

Double click on the dimmer with the bunker lights programmed into it i.e. Dimmer 01.

Example A - if you have "Bunker light 1" on channel 1 & "Bunker light 2" on channel 2 of your dimmer, right click on channel 1 and select "Create new group"

In the line provided type - "All Bunker Lights" (or similiar). All Bunker Lights will now appear for channel 1. Now, left click on channel 2 and scroll to the top of the list and select "All Bunker Lights". Select OK, upload to database & network. Close the dimmer window.

Now you need to double on the switch you wish to control the lights.

Example B - if button 1 controls "Bunker light 1" & button 2 controls "Bunker light 2" - Right click the button 1. Select "Select another group", scroll to the top of the list and select "All Bunker Lights". You will now be able to control a different group of lights with button 2. And don't forget to save changes by uploading the database & network. (just click on OK)

Please view the attached files for further reference.

I hope this solution works for you, if not maybe we need to explore the "Logic" solution.

By the way - "GUI" Graphical User Interface - it's a Windows term.

PSC.

Attached Files:

PSC, Aug 9, 2004
  8. curlyted

curlyted

PSC,
    Thanks HEAPS. That is what I was looking for a little more description so that I could understand. I had an idea it could be done but was sure of the way to do it and didn't want to stuff up the system at home as my wife keeps telling me "if it aint broke stop stuffing around with it" :)

I will give your suggestion a go tonight.
    thanks again

God I love forums

Cheers
    Curlyted

News flash:
    Used your suggestion last night and it worked!!!! Yippee I am a happy man again.

cheers

Curlyted

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2004
    curlyted, Aug 10, 2004
Ask a Question